I'm confused by the AAC "Quality" setting

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
vinyl_warrior

I'm confused by the AAC "Quality" setting

Post by vinyl_warrior » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:02 pm

i'd like to create two sets of files from a CD: one Apple Lossless and one AAC. Max is perfect for this. The Lossless codec is easy to setup because there are no options for it. The AAC is a little more difficult, though. I understand the extension and the bitrate, including VBR, but the "Quality" setting is new to me.

Medium doesn't sound very good as a quality setting, but I don't know what the actual meaning of it is. Does anyone know what quality setting iTunes rips into?

Thanks!

*EDIT* when i say Medium doesn't very good as a quality setting, I mean as a descriptor. Medium sounds less appealing than high. I'm not talking about the actual sound quality from the conversion.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: I'm confused by the AAC "Quality" setting

Post by sbooth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:18 pm

vinyl_warrior wrote:Medium doesn't sound very good as a quality setting, but I don't know what the actual meaning of it is. Does anyone know what quality setting iTunes rips into?
iTunes has its own AAC encoder, separate from the one used by Core Audio. This post discusses a little bit what the quality settings stand for, but they are somewhat subjective and lack concrete definitions.