Converting just OGG to MP3

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
The General

Converting just OGG to MP3

Post by The General » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:38 am

I have a bunch of music (around 5100 songs) sorted like so, in directories:

genre/artist/album/song.ogg or mp3

I want to convert just the ogg to mp3, for use on my iPhone. It is pretty much random which albums are ogg and which are mp3. Is there a way that I can add all of these files to the "Files to be converted" list, and then select all of the MP3 files and remove them so that I don't convert them? I am able to scroll through the list and remove them manually but that takes forever ... It would be sweet to have a column that I can use to sort them by format, select all the MP3s at once and remove them all at once.

When I drag my Music folder into iTunes it only adds the MP3s to my library. So my plan is to output the oggs into another director, drag the whole music folder into my iTunes library, then drag the converted MP3s into it.

Is there a better way of going about this? :|

Mike1

Re: Converting just OGG to MP3

Post by Mike1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 pm

I suppose you could use a script to look recursively through the folders and move files from them to another location based on the file extension.

Googling "find files by extension move" comes up with a thread at macosxhints.com:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/i ... 55626.html

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:40 pm

In a Finder window in icon view you can sort files by kind. With the window in icon view in front, choose "Show View Options" in View menu. Use the setting "For this window only" (unless you want all icon view windows to sort by kind) and choose "Keep arranged by Kind".

snoopy67

Post by snoopy67 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:24 pm

With 5000+ songs, I think the easiest way would be to write a script (either Applescript or a shell script), *provided* Max is scriptable. That script would just recursively scan the directory tree for ogg files. In bash, this should be only ~10 lines.
(There is also Automator, Apple's graphical scripting utility, but i'm not sure that would do the trick...)

HTH,
Gab.