Next update to Max 0.7.1?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
phule

Next update to Max 0.7.1?

Post by phule » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:49 pm

Any estimate on when the next update to Max 0.7.1 will be released :?:
Bob

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Next update to Max 0.7.1?

Post by sbooth » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:04 am

I've no idea. I have gotten some work done on the cue sheet code, but I need to integrate the new decoders from Play (no trivial task) to get things working correctly.

igroucho

Post by igroucho » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

you have done, so far, an immense favor to the mac-community, thanks for a really useful and elegant app.

phule

Post by phule » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:09 pm

sbooth wrote:I've no idea. I have gotten some work done on the cue sheet code, but I need to integrate the new decoders from Play (no trivial task) to get things working correctly.
I was just curious. I think MAX is just fine but I'm sure others have some additional "wishes".
Bob

scottxbenson

Post by scottxbenson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:49 am

sbooth wrote:I've no idea. I have gotten some work done on the cue sheet code, but I need to integrate the new decoders from Play (no trivial task) to get things working correctly.
Thank you so much for working on the cue sheet feature!

I'm about to purchase a 160GB iPod, and I have tons of FLAC images with both embedded and external cue sheets which I want to batch convert to ALAC. There doesn't seem to currently be an option to do this natively in OS X. I can do one image at a time with XLD, but when you have 20 DVD's full of FLAC images... no thanks. I'm hoping to avoid using Foobar & iTunesEncode in Parallels, as it will probably take so much longer than Core Audio. I'm so used to using Max for all my other transcoding now.

Thanks for your continued work on your excellent apps! I'm so grateful.

Scott

NoName

Post by NoName » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 am

It's interesting to read what other people's experiences have been with Core Audio in terms of encoding speed. I just transcoded 155 GB of FLACs to ALAC on my PC (AMD Duron 2 GHz) with dBpoweramp Music Converter, and including file verification, the whole batch conversion went VERY quickly. I have the same set of FLAC files on my Mac (Power Mac G4 MDD/FW800), and the process took over 40 hours with Max, which doesn't do any verification of output vs. source files.

This is not intended in any way to be a negative comment about Max, but rather my own experience with Core Audio in terms of speed. It's slow.

Anyway, it seems that you have a powerful Intel Mac running Parellels. In that case, I would think it would be way faster to manage what you want to accomplish using foobar2000 and dBpoweramp Music Converter. On my 4-year-old PC, the conversions + verifications were running consistently at 26x real time.