Max locking up my 8-core Mac Pro...

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
melorama

Max locking up my 8-core Mac Pro...

Post by melorama » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:00 am

I was just about to embark on a long effort to convert all my CDs to FLAC using Max, and thought it would be much faster to do it on my 8-Core Mac Pro at work, since it has 2 Superdrives in it, and I can do other work on the system while Max rips.

But to my disappointment, I've found that I cannot reliably rip my CDs to FLAC, either with the stable or unstable dev. version of Max. It will always get a portion of a way through ripping a CD, and then all of a sudden, it will lock up the entire computer. And by "lock up", I mean a DEAD freeze...i.e. no spinning-beach ball of death, no other errors. The system just freezes. When I ping the machine from an outside machine, there is no response, so it pretty much kills the system, and I have to do a hard power-cycle reboot to get control back.

At first I thought it was because I was trying to rip 2 CDs at once. So I tried it one disc at a time, instead. Same deal.

The only pattern I can see is that the lock up tends to happen after I put Max in the background, and then bring it back to the foreground after using other programs.

I'm really bummed out about this, and am hoping there is a solution to this.

System specs:

Mac OSX 10.4.9
16 GB RAM (from Transintl,com)
8-core Mac Pro
Quicktime 7.1.6

Ripping to FLAC, compression level: 6, Comparison rip

melorama

Re: Max locking up my 8-core Mac Pro...

Post by melorama » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:38 pm

So am I the ONLY person out there with a Mac Pro having this problem?

This is truly a major bummer, since as far as I can tell, there's no other decent option for ripping CDs directly to FLAC on OSX.

Please help.

Fuga

Re: Max locking up my 8-core Mac Pro...

Post by Fuga » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:25 pm

And the crash logs give no clue?

If it's fairly predictable, start, open Consol and watch until it freezes.