General questions - getting the most out of Max

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
egotrippen

General questions - getting the most out of Max

Post by egotrippen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 am

I just want to make sure I'm using Max to the best of its abilities. I'm on a recent Macbook, and I'm pretty sure the drive caches data, does this make a difference as to whether Paranoia or one of the other rippers is the most accurate? Using Paranoia with all the error correction options set, will I be alerted if the error correction fails? I noticed the log isn't exactly... verbose.

I know a bit about audio encoding/decoding, but I'm pretty in the dark about the hardware side. Is there anything else I should be asking?

And I want to say, thanks one more time for the excellent programs, Max and Play have been pretty much essential.

Fuga

Re: General questions - getting the most out of Max

Post by Fuga » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

The drive does cache audio. C2 error corrrection is not perfect. Development of more accurate ripping appears dead. :(
Grab Windows and Parallels and run EAC off a Boot Camp partition.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Fuga wrote:The drive does cache audio. C2 error corrrection is not perfect. Development of more accurate ripping appears dead. :(
Grab Windows and Parallels and run EAC off a Boot Camp partition.
I strongly disagree with this post.

First of all, C2 performs mostly error detection, and to a smaller degree, error correction. As such it is extremely useful for DAE. I believe that C2 is the only way to detect certain types of errors on compact discs. If a disc is damaged in such a way that re-reads of the sector in question are repeatable and always produce the same data, no amount of re-reading will reveal the error which could easily be reported by C2. Some rippers (e.g. rubyripper) work under the assumption that damaged sections of the disc will produce inconsistent reads. If this assumption is true (which is beyond the scope of this post), comparison rippers should fare very well. If it isn't, or even if it is mostly true, comparison ripping alone is not the best option for extracting audio. This is the reason I created the comparison ripper, which although not perfect is a step in the right direction because it uses C2 error pointers in addition to comparison methods.

It is true that the implementation of C2 varies from drive to drive, as does seeking accuracy and audio caching behavior. Users concerned with absolute bit accuracy in ripping should probably spend some time researching the best drive for their needs. Plextor drives generally seem to be good choices for DAE, and in fact I've read several suggestions that PlexTools is superior to EAC for DAE.

I think it is patently unfair to say that users should install EAC using Boot Camp because Max's ripping facilities are inadequate. Certainly there are some features EAC has that Max does not- drive offset correction for one. However, if anyone has statistically significant data showing that the rips generated by Max are generally inferior to those generated by EAC I would like to see them. While Max's ripping facilities could certainly be improved, I don't see any reason not to use them at present. For the vast majority of users and the vast majority of discs, Max is a powerful tool.

egotrippen

Post by egotrippen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:59 pm

so... are there optimal settings I should be using?

I was able to find out that my drive has an audio cache of 37kb, and that as long as Max reads in bursts of more than that it shouldn't matter.

edit: After some testing (both with EAC and with Max) I'm really happy with the job Max does. The Macbook drive is taking CDs that gave my older computers trouble, and there's times when ripping is slow (one track took about 10 minutes), but even thenthe song sounds perfect on playback. Whether or not it's the absolutely perfect audiophile choice, I'm satisfied.