FLAC to AIFF

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
gpercy

FLAC to AIFF

Post by gpercy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:00 am

I have FLAC files that I would like to convert to AIFF so that I can burn the uncompressed audio files to a CD. I have had no success. I add the FLAC files to "Files to be converted:", and I have AIFF (Linear PCM) 16 bit selected in "Desired output formats:". After selecting Convert, I get an error message that states "An error occurred while encoding the file ... Sample size not supported"

Is it possible to use Max for converting FLAC to AIFF?

Gerry

gpercy

Re: FLAC to AIFF

Post by gpercy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Well ... disregard my previous post. Apparently the first FLAC files I downloaded were flawed in some way. After downloading another set of FLAC files I was able to successfully convert them to AIF and WAV files with no problems!

So Max Rocks!

Gerry

slingo67

Post by slingo67 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:36 am

I am having a problem converting from FLAC to AIFF also but different to the previous one. My problem has to do with file size. I have gone through the enormous time and pain to rip all of my CD's to FLAC for my Squeezebox. All my cumbersome CD's are now stored elsewhere because I had always had the idea of being able to convert a FLAC back to AIFF whenever I needed to. I have now attempted to do this and have found that the FLAC to AIFF files seem to have gotten larger. Just as an example the original CD may be around 600Meg but the FLAC to AIFF files as a total are around 900Meg which would cause me to use 2 CD's to burn what was originally 1.
FLAC compression is set to 5
I used the AIFF (Linear PCM) which is set at 24 bit for conversion back to AIFF.
Which AIFF should I use and set to what if all I want is pretty much what I started with?
Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:55 am

16-bit WAV or AIFF should get you back to the original audio.