new MAX user with AIFF tagging question

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
TWGIII

new MAX user with AIFF tagging question

Post by TWGIII » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:07 pm

I would like to use MAX to rip all my CD's using the 24bit PCM Linear option under AIFF. I have plenty of hard drive space and it gives me some flexibility for future changes to my stereo system. Anyway, when I do this and import/copy into iTunes, I lose all the tags outside of the songs title, which now has a number in front of it. Am I doing something wrong or is this just an issue. If it's just an issue, I'll revert back to Applelossless. Thanks for your help.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: new MAX user with AIFF tagging question

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am

Are you importing the AIFF files manually into iTunes or are you using Max's import? If you are using Max's import and losing data that is a bug (if the metadata was set correctly to begin with). If you are doing it manually that would be the expected behavior, since AIFF files generated by Max contain no metadata.

Also, it's not worth ripping CD audio to 24-bit resolution, since the CD stores audio at 16-bit bit depth. You are not gaining since Max is performing no DSP on the extracted audio.

TWGIII

Post by TWGIII » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:20 am

I guess manually. I am opening one of the files from the location I output them to. Hi-liting a song and double clicking it, which has the effect of placing it into my iTunes (which is open or will open if closed) automatically playing that song. I'm sure this is probably not the right method but I was using it to test the sound quality of the different songs. In so doing, I noticed the album, artist, genre had disappeared with the AIFF files. I am doing a massive (for me) re-rip and so have chosen not to add the files to iTunes until I am finished at which time I will clean house, change the Library in iTunes and start fresh with all music in one format, ripped from one player, using one ripper. That's the plan at least. Can I use Max's import after the fact?

Also, I was using 24bit because it was suggested to me by the manufacturer of my external DAC, who said it will help with distortion that may arise in upsampling my music streams. I understand what you are saying but it seems to work and unless I am degrading the music somehow by doing it, I'd prefer to keep it as is.

Thanks for responding. I can only imagine how tough it is to stay on top of all this.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 am

TWGIII wrote:Can I use Max's import after the fact?
No, Max's import uses the metadata read or entered prior to the conversion, and throws it away once the conversion is complete.

This is the reason I typically promote FLAC, because you get the same lossless audio as AIFF/WAV, with embedded metadata, at a reduced size. The same would also be true for ALAC, which you might consider if you want to add files to iTunes after the fact.
Also, I was using 24bit because it was suggested to me by the manufacturer of my external DAC, who said it will help with distortion that may arise in upsampling my music streams. I understand what you are saying but it seems to work and unless I am degrading the music somehow by doing it, I'd prefer to keep it as is.
This is an interesting argument, but depending on your audio setup I'm not sure it applies. If you are using iTunes to play your audio, it will convert audio from the file's format to linear PCM (trivial to no-op in the case of AIFF) before it sends it to the computer's audio hardware. The audio hardware may resample or change the bit depth of the incoming PCM before it is output, depending on the type of hardware and its settings. How are you getting digital audio from your Mac to the external DAC?

TWGIII

Post by TWGIII » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:45 pm

I am getting the digital audio to the DAC via an airportexpress and a toslink cable. from the DAC, I run the rca analog cables into the CD input on my integrated amp. The stereo is 75 feet or so away from the computer so running a hardline doesn't appear to be an option.

My goal was to create the best quality archive that I could most easily use with iTunes. This because we just bought a new intel based 20" iMac for the home and it seemed iTunes would be the best (or easiest) choice for media playing, although I've not really looked at any other options like your "Play" or "airfoil"

Don't laugh but ALAC is Applelossless, right? Knowing I use iTunes, would you still suggest using FLAC for the master file and convert to AAC for adding to the iTunes Library? Which FLAC do you prefer? This last question is because everyone seems to be in love with the FLAC format. Is there a reason for this devotion to FLAC outside of the metadata issue?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:57 am

TWGIII wrote:Don't laugh but ALAC is Applelossless, right? Knowing I use iTunes, would you still suggest using FLAC for the master file and convert to AAC for adding to the iTunes Library? Which FLAC do you prefer? This last question is because everyone seems to be in love with the FLAC format. Is there a reason for this devotion to FLAC outside of the metadata issue?
ALAC is Apple Lossless, yes. Since you use iTunes I would recommend ALAC over FLAC- it's lossless so you can always transcode to another lossless format later, and FLAC and iTunes don't play well together.