Using Max for file/folder organization?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
pretz

Using Max for file/folder organization?

Post by pretz » Mon May 21, 2007 1:43 am

I really like how Max allows me to specify my own output file name and location, but I have a bunch of files I've already converted that I would like to do this to.

Is there a way to simply move/copy and rename a set of files based on their metadata? Maybe this would be a better feature for Tag rather than Max, but Max supports far more formats than Tag, and this is clearly something within Max's ability. An output format in max that is "Write the original file unchanged" would be sufficient. If this isn't something Max can do, and isn't something there is interest in implementing, are there any other OS X programs that do this?

thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Using Max for file/folder organization?

Post by sbooth » Mon May 21, 2007 2:41 am

pretz wrote:Is there a way to simply move/copy and rename a set of files based on their metadata? Maybe this would be a better feature for Tag rather than Max, but Max supports far more formats than Tag, and this is clearly something within Max's ability.
Tag can do this right now, for FLAC/Ogg Vorbis/WavPack/Monkey's Audio files. Do your files happen to be in one of those formats?

pretz

Re: Using Max for file/folder organization?

Post by pretz » Mon May 21, 2007 2:55 am

sbooth wrote: Tag can do this right now, for FLAC/Ogg Vorbis/WavPack/Monkey's Audio files. Do your files happen to be in one of those formats?
Some of them are, but some are in apple lossless as well. Also, it seems that Tag will only rename files in place, but not move them to a new directory structure. For example, I have a number of albums (ripped long ago) that are organized
MusicDir 1/Artist - Album/0N Track Title.m4a
and I have another directory of files (ripped by Max) in the standard
MusicDir 2/Artist/Album/0N Track Title.m4a

I would like to re-arrange the files in MusicDir 1 to the same arrangement as Music Dir 2.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:02 am

You can do this with Media Rage:

http://www.chaoticsoftware.com/ProductP ... aRage.html

One of its tools called "organizer" lets you specify a directory structure, and choose whether you want to make an alias or copy or move your files to the new structure. Media Rage is around $30, so I suppose it would only be worth getting if you're likely to use several of the tools; but you could take a look at it, as there's a free trial.

Other than that, I suppose there may be an AppleScript that will do it. You could have a look here:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php