Built-in error correction in the Matshita Superdrive

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
kirtap

Built-in error correction in the Matshita Superdrive

Post by kirtap » Mon May 07, 2007 2:26 pm

I am not sure where this topic fits, but I guess under "General".

Anyway, I have done a few tests, comparing ripping in iTunes to ripping using Max and I would like to present the results and ask a few questions.

I have a PowerBook G4 12 inch with the standard Matshita Superdrive: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E

I have done the following observations:
1. When using Max (CDParanoia as ripper), ripping with error correction (full paranoia) enabled takes much longer than ripping in iTunes. Disabling error correction gives the same speed, more or less, as iTunes.
Also, with error correction enabled the Superdrive produces tiny, regular metallic like sounds, hard to describe but I assume it is because the drive is doing a lot of extra reading resulting in extra movements that produces the sound. Never heard them when using iTunes.

2. Ripping by copying the files in Finder, that is, using the automatic QuickTime AIFF ripping, produces flawless files, as far as I can tell.

Based on these to observations my conclusion is that the Matshita drive contains its own error correction hardware, like the Plextor drives.

Is this correct?

I really tried to test the ssystem by ripping one of those infamous multisession CDs where the audio data has been deliberately corrupted, but I have not been able to hear any errors so far.
Unfortunately I don't have a really scratched CD to try with, maybe I should by one and try.

I have seen a few post on the forum saying that iTunes and the Matshita drive are worthless when it comes to ripping, but so far I can't agree with that.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Built-in error correction in the Matshita Superdrive

Post by sbooth » Fri May 18, 2007 1:40 am

kirtap wrote:I have done the following observations:
1. When using Max (CDParanoia as ripper), ripping with error correction (full paranoia) enabled takes much longer than ripping in iTunes. Disabling error correction gives the same speed, more or less, as iTunes.
Also, with error correction enabled the Superdrive produces tiny, regular metallic like sounds, hard to describe but I assume it is because the drive is doing a lot of extra reading resulting in extra movements that produces the sound. Never heard them when using iTunes.

2. Ripping by copying the files in Finder, that is, using the automatic QuickTime AIFF ripping, produces flawless files, as far as I can tell.

Based on these to observations my conclusion is that the Matshita drive contains its own error correction hardware, like the Plextor drives.
The paranoia ripping is slower because it reads sector by sector, analyzing as it goes. The sounds are probably the drive repositioning for each read.

I'm not an expert on CD drives, but I would assume all modern drives perform some sort of error correction. I would say the real test would be on a damaged CD, though.

kirtap

Post by kirtap » Wed May 23, 2007 11:58 am

Well, maybe I should prepare a test CD with a lot of scratches to see how the Matshita drive behaves.

Do you know what kind of ripper iTunes is utilizing?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed May 23, 2007 1:37 pm

kirtap wrote:Do you know what kind of ripper iTunes is utilizing?
I have no idea whatsoever.