Where is the cdparanoia detailed log?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
dan.blanchard

Where is the cdparanoia detailed log?

Post by dan.blanchard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:45 pm

Some people I know are really anal about whether the FLACs I make are exactly the same as the tracks on the CD, so they want to see detailed logs from cdparanoia about the whole ripping process. In the Max Help it mentions something about being able to turn logging on for cdparanoia, but I don't see any option anywhere for that. If I open the log window, all it tells me is "ripping started, ripping ended, etc." which is very useful. Does anyone know if the log file gets dumped somewhere? Or if there's a way to enable it, if it isn't by default?

hazel5000

RE: Where is the cdparanoia detailed log?

Post by hazel5000 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:16 am

For a bunch of people who are getting something for nothing, the whiners on the lossless Usenet groups are awful picky, aren't they/

chicken

Re: RE: Where is the cdparanoia detailed log?

Post by chicken » Thu May 10, 2007 5:18 pm

hazel5000 wrote:For a bunch of people who are getting something for nothing, the whiners on the lossless Usenet groups are awful picky, aren't they/
yeah. there's nothing worse than a bunch of beggars acting like "you may all kneel before us and make sure that the music we steal from you is in pristine lossless condition".

~sticks finger down throat

kjoerup

Post by kjoerup » Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 am

I think this is a fair question, if not quite properly presented. Not all of us who use the log do so for illegal purposes!

What *did* happen to the detailed log? Why was it disabled? It disappeared from Max a couple of revisions ago and now there is no way of knowing if there is a problem and, if so, the exact nature of it and at which sector it is occurring.

The lack of a detailed log -- particularly an easy to read one like xACT outputs -- is the only thing that is holding Max back from being THE Mac standard. I know I am not the only one who wishes for a usable log output feature in Max. It is a very useful and quite necessary tool.

Please! Any chance of this ever happening?

If nothing else, PLEASE bring back the old logging feature.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri May 18, 2007 1:35 am

kjoerup wrote:I think this is a fair question, if not quite properly presented. Not all of us who use the log do so for illegal purposes!

What *did* happen to the detailed log? Why was it disabled? It disappeared from Max a couple of revisions ago and now there is no way of knowing if there is a problem and, if so, the exact nature of it and at which sector it is occurring.

The lack of a detailed log -- particularly an easy to read one like xACT outputs -- is the only thing that is holding Max back from being THE Mac standard. I know I am not the only one who wishes for a usable log output feature in Max. It is a very useful and quite necessary tool.

Please! Any chance of this ever happening?

If nothing else, PLEASE bring back the old logging feature.
I took the old logging feature out because as the log grew, ripping slowed down tremendously. I need to rework logging and haven't gotten around to it.

While we're on the topic, what would the "idea" CD ripping log look like?

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Fri May 18, 2007 9:51 am

kjoerup wrote:The lack of a detailed log -- particularly an easy to read one like xACT outputs -- is the only thing that is holding Max back from being THE Mac standard.
Which proves that each one has his own idea of what's missing to make some software 'perfect'. My choice for Max would be to be able to recover the indexes, especially the 'INDEX 00'...

stakadush

Post by stakadush » Fri May 18, 2007 10:37 am

sbooth wrote: While we're on the topic, what would the "idea" CD ripping log look like?
something like eac's report is enough... to at-least have a confirmation about each track, and that everything went with(out) errors... otherwise you're left in the dark, and need to listen carefully to each track... :)

kjoerup

Post by kjoerup » Sat May 19, 2007 12:26 am

The xACT log, which isn't much different from the typical cdda2wav/cdparanoia log generated by Missing Media Burner (anyone else here remember that frontend?) will suffice. It does tell you what you need to know and where any problem occurs. Seems to be a pretty standard output, judging from how many different frontends use the thing.