FLAC to LAME -V0 ?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
endrest

FLAC to LAME -V0 ?

Post by endrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:08 am

I haven't downloaded this software, yet.. really don't want to mess around with it if it's not going to do what I want it to do. After some searching, I believe this app may be able to convert FLAC to LAME V0, but I'm not 100% positive. Is this correct? I tried searching this forum, but, and I kid you not, it said my query was 'ignored because there were too many ordinary words'.

mattn

Re: FLAC to LAME -V0 ?

Post by mattn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Not really. It will certain convert FLAC to MP3 using LAME, but what it doesn't let you do is set your own precise command-line LAME options. Thus there is no way to specify exactly "V0" in Max. If that's important to you, I would advise that you install LAME (if you haven't already) as a command-line tool and set up a workflow where you convert from FLAC to AIFF or WAV and from there to a command-line milieu where you can give the exact conversion parameters you want. Max can help you with that because it can convert from FLAC to AIFF or WAV along with a specified post-processing application. However, I think you're going to lose your tags in the process.

kai_h

Re: FLAC to LAME -V0 ?

Post by kai_h » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

Max will let you create a LAME -V0 file - in fact, the interface that Max uses is almost identical to the reference interface that LAME suggest

http://lame.sourceforge.net/lame_ui_example.php

They suggest that as you're using a GUI, then expose the options that are more suited to a graphical environment, rather than having to use textual shortcuts on a command line.

If you create an MP3 using Max with the following settings, it is a LAME -V0

Encoder quality: Custom
Encoder target: Quality
Encoding engine quality: High
Stereo mode: Default
Quality: 100
Variable bitrade mode: Fast
Bitrate: leave as is - it's disabled as you're aiming for a target quality

The options that will be passed through to LAME to encode the file are identical to the options that are specified by using -V0 as a shortcut on the command line.