Wrong number of channels reported and tag inconsistencies

Discuss Tag, a metadata editor for audio files.
BradleyS

Wrong number of channels reported and tag inconsistencies

Post by BradleyS » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Some minor issues with Tag 1.0.1 from the perspective of a podcast.

Three audio files: AAC in Apple MP4 (.m4a) container, MP3, and Vorbis in Ogg container. All mono, 44.1kHz, 64kbps VBR (except MP3 which is CBR), encoded using Max r1438. Problem 1: the AAC file is reported as having 2 channels.

Tags included via Max as appearing in Tag are Title, Artist, Album Title, Release Date, Genre, and Comment. Problem 2: The AAC file includes all of the above plus seems to duplicate the Artist tag as Album Artist (which is not an issue, but MP3 and Vorbis omit it) and the MP3 file has an empty/missing Genre tag ("Podcast" may be technically invalid for MP3?). I guess I'm not sure if these issues are with Tag or the output of Max, but either way there seem to be minor inconsistencies between tags for different file types.

Cheers

P.S. — Would like to know the future plans for Max as we use it regularly.

pl_svn

Re: Wrong number of channels reported and tag inconsistencie

Post by pl_svn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 am

... whenever I use Max to transcode a file, "Album Artist" tag is replaced by plain "Artist" so... this one is for sure Max's fault :-(

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm

I will look into the code that determines how many channels are in an AAC file. It won't have any effect on tag editing but it should be correct nonetheless.

Right now I have no immediate plans (6+ months) to do anything with Max. Now that Tag is finished my next priority is a major revision of Decibel, followed by an update of Max.

BradleyS

Post by BradleyS » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm an avid Decibel user as well, so no worries here. Thanks for the updates.