Tag 1.0.1: could not save file

Discuss Tag, a metadata editor for audio files.
pl_svn

Tag 1.0.1: could not save file

Post by pl_svn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm experiencing *very often* a "Could not Save File xy: not a valid AIFF file" alerts :-0

*seems* it happens if file is kept open in Tag for "too long", after editing something, without saving :-/
saving immediately after editing a tag doesn't trigger this issue

and once more: Tag *needs* an "Apply to All" option in dialogs: clicking "Cancel" (or whatever) for each single file is very annoying and uselessly time consuming!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Tag 1.0.1: could not save file

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:12 pm

pl_svn wrote:and once more: Tag *needs* an "Apply to All" option in dialogs: clicking "Cancel" (or whatever) for each single file is very annoying and uselessly time consuming!
I've logged your feature request.

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 pm

thanks stephen :-)

(I also added a new one in "Request and glitches" thread ;-) )

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am

... sorry stephen: just to restate this issue nags me almost every time I use Tag
I must quit without saving changes and retry then... all is fine (same track, same edits but... no more "not a valid xy format file" alert on save)
I'm using FLACs and AIFFs only and I'm on 10.8.2, if this matters

aaarrgghhh! :-p

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am

ok, seems I found how to *always* reproduce the issue:

- rip to AIFF using XLD (fill all tags you wish *but* comment: leave it empty)
- open tracks in Tag, select all, "Calculate Replay Gain" and save
- now move to "Misc" tab and delete all that XLD has inserted in "Comment" (a series of numbers and letters)
- hit "Save" and... voilà: "The file doesn't seem to be a valid AIFF etc etc" :-/

quit Tag discarding changes (you first need to click "Cancel" for each and every file! aaarrggghhh!), re-open those very same files, delete everything in "Comment", hit "Save" and... all is fine

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 pm

There must be something strange going on here, because I followed the steps you provided and everything worked correctly for me. I ripped several tracks from a CD in XLD to AIFF, calculated their replay gain, saved, and then deleted the comments and saved again and didn't receive any error messages.

Do you have the same problem if you only edit one file at a time?

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm

... hmmm... one file at a time? never tried as... it actualy defeats the whole purpose ;-)

only way I have found, so far, to avoid any issue is saving and quitting/relaunching Tag before editing something in a different "pane" (eg. Basic, Sorting, Misc etc)

what always leads to errors is, in the same "session", editing tags in "Replay Gain" (or Artwork) *and* in any other pane

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:54 pm

after two days ripping CDs and editing tags with Tag I confirm:

- only way to avoid *any* issue is quitting/relaunching Tag after editing/saving changes in *one* of its "panes" (Basic, Sorting, Misc. etc)
- even if I switch *momentarily* to a different "pane" (eg to copy from "Basic/Artist" before pasting it in "Sorting/Album Artist") I get some sort of error :-/

errors I get are either:
- "Could not Save" or
- corrupted artwork or
- (some, not all) track's Artwork not displaying anymore in "Finder preview" (but, if I check, it's still embedded)

if there's anything I can try to help you sort these glitches out... please just tell me