Why not support Snow Leopard?

Discuss Tag, a metadata editor for audio files.
bjornvinyl

Why not support Snow Leopard?

Post by bjornvinyl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi, I am a enthusisastic user of Decibel for my high quality playback of audio files. The prospect of having a good tag editor for many different audio formats seems like a very good idea and I would gladly license the new Tag if it supported Snow Leopard. Many audiophiles prefer Snow Leopard to Lion and probably also Mountain Lion because the later Mac OSes has no integer support for audio playback and problems with the USB audio drivers (at least with some Mac models). So the question is, why not support Snow Leopard? Is it hard?
Best regards

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Why not support Snow Leopard?

Post by sbooth » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 pm

I chose not to support Snow Leopard in Tag because Tag takes advantage of new OS features introduced in Lion that aren't available in Snow Leopard. In particular, Tag is written using ARC which is not really supported in Snow Leopard (zeroing weak references not supported). I don't extensively use Lion-only features, so I will investigate the difficulty of also supporting SL.

bjornvinyl

Post by bjornvinyl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:22 am

It seems that it is possible to build for Snow Leopard on Lion and support ARC as indicated on this page.
http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/xco ... opard.html
However, I'm not developing myself for Mac OS X so I may be wrong...
Best regards

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 pm

No one, without trying it, can have any idea how difficult Apple makes it to write backwards-compatible code. They don't want you to do it and they throw immense stumbling blocks in your way.

Also note that the old Tag still works just fine in Snow Leopard.