Replaygain playback issues

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
soundshaker

Replaygain playback issues

Post by soundshaker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 pm

I use Decibel for over a year now, mostly for playing a scrambled list of 6000+ songs. I chose Decibel because it is the only high quality music player for OSX with Replaygain support.

There are two issues related to Replaygain I would really like to have fixed in a next version:
1. Songs having a track gain of 0.00 or higher (positive values) are played significantly quieter than songs having a negative track gain value. According to the peak value there should be enough headroom though to increase the loudness according to the track gain value. It seems the algorithm doesn't handle positive values like they should be. I tested the same files on other music players (not having the high quality features of Decibel) also supporting Replaygain, and they did not have this issue, i.e. the loudness was as expected.
2. The last second of songs with an abrupt ending, for instance Acquiesce by Oasis, are played much more loudly than the rest of the song. This only occurs when Replaygain is enabled. It seems the track gain is not applied to this last fraction of the track. I tested this for several preamplification settings (0 or lower), 'Loading files into memory' checked as well as not checked and for both clipping prevention options, but this didn't make a difference.

Please look into these issues.

soundshaker

Re: Replaygain playback issues

Post by soundshaker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm

One addition to issue no 2. It looks like this was introduced since the 1.3 version. The 1.2.11 version doesn't have this issue.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Out of curiosity if you disable the equalizer in the preferences do you get the same behavior?

soundshaker

Post by soundshaker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 pm

The equalizer is disabled in the preferences, so no cause there.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:46 am

OK, thanks. I'll keep digging.

soundshaker

Post by soundshaker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Almost a year has passed. Any news on this issue? I am still stuck with 1.2.11 and I'd like to upgrade.