fix or workaround needed track order wrong using network hrd

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
maxdb

fix or workaround needed track order wrong using network hrd

Post by maxdb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:18 am

when using a locally connected hard disk, drag and drop files are maintained in proper track order. files are tagged with track numbers and file names all follow the convention:
01 - filename1.flac
02 - filename2.flac
etc. so there are 2 chances for Decibel to get the dragged files into the app with correct track order. that worked fine with a locally connected hard disk, but using the network drive results in tracks appearing in random order in Decibel. The network drive is connected via Ethernet.

I do not use playlists. i do not and will not use iTunes. i drag and drop files by grabbing a folder from the hard disk that contains 1 complete album... usually 3 to 24 tracks in the folder, most often 10-12 tracks per album.

What is different about dragging from a network drive vs. a local internal or FireWire hard disk that causes the network drive files to appear in random order? with a local drive, i could drag 3 folders/albums, one at a time, and the tracks for each of the albums would be in the right order. with the network drive, the tracks for the 3 albums remain grouped together, but are randomly ordered.

i am using Decibel 1.3.1 on a Mac Mini with os 10.10

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: fix or workaround needed track order wrong using network hrd

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Fundamentally there is nothing different about dragging files from different folders. It's possible that the underlying file system presents the files in different orders; Decibel does not sort the tracks as they are added unless there is a sort descriptor set by clicking the table column headers. If you always want to sort by filename I recommend showing the filename column and sorting by that.

maxdb

Re: fix or workaround needed track order wrong using network hrd

Post by maxdb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:29 am

That works fine if you're only dragging-in 1 album. But if you drag in 2 albums or more, sorting on the filename intermixes tracks, so you have to sort on filename then on artist or album name. That works OK only if you drag things in alphabetical order, though. If you import Zombies first, then import Acorn, there's no way to sort that will retain the Acorn tracks in proper play order AFTER the Zombies tracks.

What's strange about this is... if I drag titles from a a directly-attached hard disk, they always come in in proper track order so sorting is never needed. I've only had this problem since switching to a NAS-type storage system that has huge advantages over directly attached hard disks (like being accessible from just about any device anywhere in the house for casual listening).

If Decibel would sort the incoming tracks when using an NAS system, I'd have no problem.