Order of tracks not maintained when dragging

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
maxdb

Order of tracks not maintained when dragging

Post by maxdb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 am

I'm using 1.2.11 and will not update to a newer version unless the newer version supports Mac O/S 10.6.7 as I don't intend to move to the next major version.

I changed from a 1.5 TB music library hard disk connected via Firewire to a 3 GB RAID Networked music library hard disk (two 3GB hard disks in a single enclosure, mirroring each other). This hard disk and Mac are connected to the same Ethernet router with Ethernet cables.

I almost never use playlists. I almost always drag entire albums from the hard disk to Decibel. I never use iTunes for anything and probably never will. Almost all files I play with Decibel are FLAC, very few mp3s ever played. Very few ALAC files played.

My typical way to use Decibel is to browse the hard disk (albums are organized alphabetically by artist) until I find something I'm interested in listening to, then I drag the entire album folder to Decibel. In the past, with the Firewire drive, the tracks always came over in the same order they appear in the hard disk... filenames are ALWAYS 01 - nameoftrack1.flac; 02 - nametrack2.flac, etc. Tracks are ALL tagged with numbers, 01, 02, etc. Since switching to the Network drive, whenever I drag an album folder to Decibel, the tracks are in scrambled order. This isn't too bad if there's only 1 album in the list for Decibel to play, but I want to hear the tracks in album order each time unless I select shuffle. Shuffle is NOT selected now and I still get the files appearing in Decibel in random order. Even if I delete "Track" as a column (which has no number associated with the name of the track) to Filename which always has the track number as the beginning of the filename, tracks still appear in Decibel in random order when dragged from the network drive.

I do not see an option in this version of Decibel to set any particular column as the "decider" in track order.

If I highlight the 12 individual tracks in the album and drag them as a group to Decibel, track order is maintained. Tracks are only scrambled when I select the folder for the album that contains the 12 (or whatever number) of tracks in the album.

Is there any way to get the tracks from the Network Drive to appear in Decibel in the proper order? When I browse the network drive on the Mac desktop, the album files are always displayed on the Mac desktop in the correct order. It's only when I drag the album folder to Decibel that the tracks appear in scrambled order.

Things that would work for me:
Make Filename column the sort column (I don't see a way to do that in Preferences or Services or in any of Decibel's menus.
Make track number the sort column... again, don't see a way to make this setting in Decibel

Of course, I wouldn't want the entire list resorted by Decibel if I add another album as that would just scramble things again. I only want to sorting priority for 1 album's worth or tracks at a time... so if I already have an album of tracks in proper order that's playing, I can add a second album of tracks, also in correct play order without upsetting the previous album(s) track order(s).

Fuga

Re: Order of tracks not maintained when dragging

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am

Do your FLAC folders (most of them?) have M3U files? Load those into Decibel. Unless this is what you meant by not using playlists?

maxdb

Post by maxdb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

There are m3u files in some folders, but not in most of them. m3u is one of the playlist file formats. I rarely use any of the playlist file formats and if I do use them, it's when I have a specific group of tracks that are all from different albums. It was so easy to just drop 3 or 4 folders sequentially into Decibel and have everything maintained in track order playback.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:59 pm

What I figured. Sorry.