Operation couldn't be completed

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
cboyse

Operation couldn't be completed

Post by cboyse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

Everything works fine, but when my computer restarts the songs in Decibel give the following message "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted"
So, each reboot, I have to "Remove all Tracks", then drag them back in from their HD Music folder on external drive.
Or, if I right click a song and select "reveal in finder" It'll play from there.
I suspect this has something to do with storing my HD music collection on a folder in an external drive.
I have the new Mac Pro; only my apps are on the internal SSD, the rest in a folder on the external RAID drive.
Never had this problem on my iMac

stormfriend

Re: Operation couldn't be completed

Post by stormfriend » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:35 am

I have the same problem: The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted

I'm using the same tracks that are stored in the same location that I've been using for most of the beta versions and I can't play anything at all now. If I reboot, open up Decibel and try to hit play anywhere on the playlist I just get that error message.

If I remove all the tracks and then add them back in again it plays, although yesterday it started playing and after a few tracks stopped with the same error.

I'm using 1.3.1 (33)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Are you using the direct download version or the Mac App Store version? The App Store version is sandboxed and the direct download version isn't, so this could be contributing.

cboyse

Post by cboyse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm using the Mac App Store version I've had for years, (but always kept upgraded to latest version). Sorry, not sure what "sandboxed" means. Thanks for helping. What would you suggest I do?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 am

If you'd like to know more about the sandbox, read https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... ndbox.html I had to sandbox Decibel to get the new version approved in the MAS.

Do files on internal drives work properly?

cboyse

Post by cboyse » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 am

Good idea... tried it out...yes, the track dragged into Decibel from the internal drive still worked after closing and reopening Decibel; the file dragged in from the external drive did not. I called Apple support (Mavericks) but they didn't know.
I've been trying with my HD files, but the same story for iTunes songs which are also housed on the external drive. I can drag them in, but after reopening Decibel, while they show up, (and CAN be played by right clicking and selecting "reveal in finder") the error message comes up when just clicking normally on the track.
Any ideas? Short of that I guess I could try moving Decibel to the external drive, but that seems like a kludgy solution.

stormfriend

Post by stormfriend » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm using the Apple store version and all my files are on the internal drive of a 2014 13" MBP.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Would you mind to try the direct download version and see if the same problem occurs? It will recognize your MAS license and has the same functionality.

stormfriend

Post by stormfriend » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:47 pm

When running the direct download version from my downloads folder it worked fine, although it didn't remember my program settings (the beta versions did).

cboyse

Post by cboyse » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:37 am

Same for me. When running the direct downloaded Decibel from my Downloads folder it worked fine. Closed it, reopened it, still working properly.
Is that the recommended solution then?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:36 pm

For now, yes. There seems to be a problem with security-scoped bookmarks (which is only applicable to the MAS version). I will fix the bug but in the interim I recommend using the direct download version.

RHattangdi

Post by RHattangdi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks for the tip.
I installed the paid version last night from the Mac store and faced the same problem.
Thanks to your tip, I downloaded the version from he website and overwrote the MacStore version.
Now everything plays beautifully.