Decibel in an automobile.

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
gbroagfran

Decibel in an automobile.

Post by gbroagfran » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Is anyone else using Decibel in their car? I have mine running from a Mac Air in the glovebox, USB to a SPDIF converter box, into the digital input of an automotive room corrector/DAC box and to amps powering the speakers and woofer.The DACs only support 48/24 so I downsampled my high-res library to that resolution, and I can get about 250 albums on my Mac's 256GB drive. Yes, it sounds very good. The downside? No fast forward, you can't fiddle with it without pulling off the highway, so only put on music you like to hear on your drive. The computer has a power supply on the ignition key, so it stays charged, and since the car is a Porsche, very touchy and tight, we had to add a second battery dedicated to the stereo. There is a regular Alpine car stereo running parallel into the processor, so we can get radio, play CDs, and use an iPod, but the sound is not anywhere in the ballpark with the Mac system. We tossed out the touch screen and mounted the controls and Alpine on a leather bezel where the stock stereo would be. I tried to add an external portable hard drive to the Mac, but had no luck, just crashing, it did not interact as expected. You have to get an anti-sleep app that allows the audio to continue with the laptop closed, of course so you can close the glove box. From the outside, it just looks like a car with a regular car stereo.

So, I always have a laptop handy wherever I go, but do not keep any personal information on it, in case the car, or the computer is stolen. I have another machine at home with the personal stuff, and the least amount of that I can get away with.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel in an automobile.

Post by sbooth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 pm

I would love to see pictures of this system! It sounds very unique.

gbroagfran

Post by gbroagfran » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 am

sbooth wrote:I would love to see pictures of this system! It sounds very unique.

I'll try to take some, but for the most part, every thing is hidden. Give me a day or two to take some pics.

gbroagfran

Post by gbroagfran » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Here are some pics, you cannot see the processor, it is behind the amps. Above the deck is the radar setup, below the deck is the controls for the processor, and volume for the Mac.

/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/open.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/P1000104.JPG
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/rear.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/sub.jpg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/dash1.jpg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/decibel.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/door.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/equip.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/battery.jpeg
/Users/garyhughes/Desktop/amps.jpeg

gbroagfran

Post by gbroagfran » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess they didn't come through, how do I send them?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 pm

You can use an image hosting service like ImageShack. The forums don't handle file uploads.