Dragging & dropping songs from iTunes scrambles order

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
shawtimothy

Dragging & dropping songs from iTunes scrambles order

Post by shawtimothy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 pm

I am new to using Decibel.

I'm seeking a player that works with iTunes, so that I can continue to use iTunes file management, and optimally drag & drop from there into a player.

Decibel has promise for this use. However, when I drag & drop from iTunes into Decibel, it scrambles the song order. This won't work for me. If there is a means to prevent this, and retain the song order when moving a playlist or collection of songs into the Decibel player, please share.

Alternatively, I could play my iTunes playlists from within Decibel. I see this discussed in the forums, but it is not clear to me how to do so with the trial version of Decibel that I have. (Please explain?) This strategy would only be useful to me if there is a means to update Decibel's reading of the playlists on the fly (or possibly to drag & drop from iTunes while maintaining song order), as opposed to upon re-starting Decibel.

Thank you for your input.

Timothy S

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Dragging & dropping songs from iTunes scrambles order

Post by sbooth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Do you have a sort order set in the playlist (via the column headers)? If so, the drag should be reordered according to that. If there is no sort order then Decibel should get the tracks from iTunes in the order they're presented. Is this what you're seeing or is the behavior different?

shawtimothy

Post by shawtimothy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

The only column that embodies the playlist order is in iTunes - it is an unlabeled first column which counts each row. This column does not appear in Decibel.

There is certainly an order to the songs, which is the order I've created for each playlist in iTunes. I unclear how I would easily manifest this order in a column specific to the playlist which I could sort by - sadly, iTunes doesn't seem to offer this kind of custom annotating capability, aside from naming playlists collectively, that is not tied to a specific music file. If there's a method for this, that can contain the playlist order and be transferred to Decibel, please do share it!

As to Decibel ordering the songs as they "are presented", I'm unclear how this occurs when the songs are group copied and pasted. This does seem to be the crux of the issue, however. I imagine I could maintain the playlist order by dragging and dropping each song one-by-one, but that seems quite tedious, especially for many many playlists.

I'm also still unsure how to access my iTunes playlists from within Decibel, as I also mentioned as an alternative strategy - though, this alternative would be far more viable for my situation if it includes the capacity for live updates of the playlists as they are edited within iTunes (i.e. without shutting down Decibel).

Thank you in advance for any follow-on thoughts or advice here!

Cheers,
Timothy S

shawtimothy

Post by shawtimothy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm not seeing any response here, which tells me that this is an ongoing bug with the software (from my perspective, at least). If this issue has been resolved or there is an straightforward means to prevent the scrambling of song order during a copy-paste or drag-and-drop method of copying multiple songs from iTunes, please let me know. (One can drag-and-drop each song individually to maintain the order, though this is tedious.) Without resolution or an easy workaround, Decibel becomes less useful to me as a tool for DJing.

I'm also still curious about the alternative of accessing my iTunes playlist through Decibel - how do I do this? It is not self-evident to me.

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm

To access your iTunes playlists in Decibel you have to first enable the iTunes plugin from within Decibel's preferences. Once this is done you should see an iTunes icon in the corner of your window which when clicked will populate with your iTunes library (the portions playable by Decibel) and you can browse and play tracks directly from there.