Clicking noise with Exclusive mode

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
chuffykow

Clicking noise with Exclusive mode

Post by chuffykow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

I have a Core Duo Mac Mini with a Bel Canto DAC 1.5 attached to it. The machine is running OS X 10.6.8, apparently the last version possible to run on this machine. I have a fairly large selection of FLAC files, some 44.1/16 and some 96/24. I have the option enabled to adjust the output based on the sample rate of the file. However, when I turn on Exclusive mode, I hear an audible clicking. Based on forum searches this is a known/unsolveable issue under 10.6. When I play back a 44.1/16 FLAC file, my DAC reports that it's in 44.1 mode.

What quality degredation is happening in the playback stream by not being able to use Exlusive mode? I'm a little fuzzy on what happens between the player and the DAC when Exclusive mode is on and off. Thanks in advance.

mattn

Re: Clicking noise with Exclusive mode

Post by mattn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:55 pm

What quality degredation is happening in the playback stream by not being able to use Exlusive mode
None. You're just risking that if, e.g. you open a Web page that plays sound, the sound will join Decibel in simultaneously coming out the DAC. So just Don't Do That.