State of Decibel?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
maya

State of Decibel?

Post by maya » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:08 am

Hi, Stephen. :-)

It's been a while since you mentioned anything on how Decibel is going, I truly hope development is still active.

Here's a maybe not-so-crazy idea? I've been looking at how Synology makes their NAS, the DiskStation, and how their Audio Station app worked. I own a DiskStation for a brief time, and absolutely loved the concept of how one was able to access their entire music library, (lossy and lossless) over TCP/IP via an iOS app. My only gripe was you would have to use the DiskStation to store the music.

What if there was a feature like this in Decibel? Create a companion app to listen to your music from anywhere in the world?

Just some food for thought.
“Unless you’ve seen KISS live, you don't understand the band.” —Paul Stanley, KISS. (2003).

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: State of Decibel?

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:02 am

Decibel is still under development. I have a bug fix release pending that fixes compatibility with AirPlay in Mountain Lion. Now that I've released Tag I have more time to dedicate to the next major version of Decibel. In order to publish it on the MAS I have to implement sandboxing, which is turning out to require a bit of redesign.

Re: State of Decibel?

Post by offline » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Many vendors who work at a low level in the OS are not releasing their software through the app store. They're continuing to do it on their own.

I also see two versions of software being released from a vendor: the original which was purchased by the 'old' user base and a version with more restricted functionality for sale in the app store. I can't imagine the headaches involved in maintaining two code bases for a single product.

Just something to think about.