Decibel demo expires and mbox 2 not recognized by my imac

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
scotto

Decibel demo expires and mbox 2 not recognized by my imac

Post by scotto » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:22 am

Hi Steven,

I was really enjoying your Decibel demo player on my imac. Planning on buying it, however now my imac is not recognizing my mbox 2 for output any longer... Last I used decibel during the demo period it was set to 'hog' mode. I tried to deselect that after the free demo period expired, but perhaps that didn't go through. Restarting the computer hasn't helped, and in the midi dialogue box the mbox 2 shows up, but in the Sound settings it says that "the selected device has no output controls".

During the free demo period, itunes wouldn't play through the mbox 2 while Decibel was in Hog mode, but would if I de-selected Hog mode, and reselected the mbox 2 in settings...

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to fix this before I buy Decibel. I'd kind of hate to think I have to buy Decibel so I can restore proper function to my computer - ransom...

Thanks.

btw does the Musical Fidelity V-link work as an optional output for Decibel?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel demo expires and mbox 2 not recognized by my ima

Post by sbooth » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am

Restarting the computer should definitely release hog mode. In fact, Decibel only takes hog mode while it is actively playing so unless it crashed in the middle of playback hog mode should never be taken when Decibel exits. I'm not quite sure why your mbox 2 isn't recognized. If you want to poke around the audio device you can download Apple's Xcode (free from the App Store), grab the Core Audio additions and use HALLab to examine the device's properties.

scotto

Re: Decibel demo expires and mbox 2 not recognized by my ima

Post by scotto » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 am

I just spent a half hour on a reply to have my login time out... and now have to start over... ???

My bad on the mbox 2, had the mix knob turned effectively off the monitor/line in - unusual so didn't think to check that.. just the new kid on the block - Decibel..

Hog mode: experimented and here's how it is working on my system ( imac 11.2 osx 10.6.8 ) Decibel set to hog mode, play something, pause Decibel, then other programs will only play on internal speakers unless hog mode in Decibel is deselected and mbox 2 reselected in sound settings. Hog mode stops if quitting out of Decibel.

As soon as I realized my error on the mbox 2 I bought Decibel!

Thanks.