Decibel sample rate conversion question

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
gmartan

Decibel sample rate conversion question

Post by gmartan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 pm

If I am playing a 24-192 files into a 24-96 DAC will Decibel downconvertÉ The reason I am asking is because I recently converted som DVD-A disks to FLAC files using DVD Audio Extractor and inadvertantly converted using the default setting which choose the highest available resolution on the disk. Two of the disks were 24-192. Squeezeboc Touch refused to play these files since it exceeded 24-96 but Decibel had no problem when run on the Powerbook connected to the Sabre DAC input on my McIntosh MCD500 player. I was informed that this player had a limit of 24-96 as well but it had no problem with this connection via Toslink. I have to say that the 24-192 file sounded better than the 24-96 file. More relaxed. More musical. Comments from anyone that knows if an automatic conversion by Decibel takes place are appreciated.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel sample rate conversion question

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 am

This will depend on two things: whether automatic sample rate adjustment is enabled (in the Preferences) and the capabilities of your DAC. For the particular case you mention Decibel will resample the 192 KHz files to 96 KHz since your DAC doesn't support higher sample rates.

gmartan

Re: Decibel sample rate conversion question

Post by gmartan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 am

Thanks. Kind of what I expected although I did not check this preference setting. Its interesting though that a 24-192 file down converted by Decibel for the DAC sounded better than the DVD-Audio file converted directly to 24-96.