Decibel 1.2.5 prerelease available

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
sbooth
Site Admin

Decibel 1.2.5 prerelease available

Post by sbooth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am

I've posted the first pre-release build of Decibel 1.2.5 at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21004626/Decibe ... elease.zip

There are no substantial new features, but I've fixed numerous crashes:
  • Crash on quit
  • Crash when reading genres from some M4A files
  • Crash when reading rare types of WAVE files

tamale

Re: Decibel 1.2.5 prerelease available

Post by tamale » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 am

What happened to the "disable digital volume" option? Also, I am still experiencing crashes from all cue files written in XLD ( i posted a sample cue in this topic: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4927)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 am

I removed the Disable digital volume option, as it was unnecessary. Setting the digital volume to 1 will bypass any digital volume application to the audio.

I am unable to cause a crash using the cue file you posted in the other thread; is it possible it is the WAVE files themselves that are causing the crash, and the cue is masking the real culprit?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 am

sbooth wrote:I removed the Disable digital volume option, as it was unnecessary. Setting the digital volume to 1 will bypass any digital volume application to the audio.
Exactly what does that mean? Setting the digital volume to 1 is the same as disabling digital volume?

And where can I find to what value digital volume is set? I can increase or decrease digital volume in the Controls menu or using cmd] and cmd[ but how do I know the current value?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

RonaldPR wrote:Exactly what does that mean? Setting the digital volume to 1 is the same as disabling digital volume?
That's true, because if digital volume is disabled no gain is applied to the audio. Similarly, f the digital volume is set to 1 then no gain is applied either (the multiplication is bypassed, no multiplication is performed at all).
And where can I find to what value digital volume is set? I can increase or decrease digital volume in the Controls menu or using cmd] and cmd[ but how do I know the current value?
There is a volume control panel brought up by clicking the small speaker icon on the bottom left of the window:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am

I've posted the second prerelease of 1.2.5, with the following bug fixes:
  • {increase,decrease}{Digital,Device}Volume AppleScript commands work properly
  • The volume is set correctly when replay gain is enabled and the track contains no replay gain information

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:38 pm

sbooth wrote:There is a volume control panel brought up by clicking the small speaker icon on the bottom left of the window:
Ah, I see now. I never realized that I could click on the speaker icon. :)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:17 pm

I've posted the third prerelease build of 1.2.5, which fixes some crashes when parsing tags in certain M4A files.

nodje

Post by nodje » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 pm

I think the way to go is better integration with iTunes.
Since I discovered Max, the main drawback of iTunes - poor open source format support - disappeared, I can just switch ALAC <-> FLAC in no time. This is just great.

Itunes is just a very good library manager, and this is what other apps struggle to achieve IMHO, because they're focussing on other issues.

Itunes as lib manager and decibel as player would be a perfectly acceptable trade off afas I'm concerned.

I'd love to be able to play EVERYTHING with Decibel and gets iTunes stats updated. That'd be my #1 priority.
And anything to make it easier to play in Decivel from iTunes would be a helper.

I'd also be very interested in the technical explanation on what makes Decibel is a better quality player.
Any doc pointer? Simple explanation also welcome.

thanks a lot for the great work!

Packgrog

Post by Packgrog » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 pm

I don't suppose you've fixed the issue where it stops playing when on shuffle and going from hi-res to redbook (or vice versa), have you?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Packgrog wrote:I don't suppose you've fixed the issue where it stops playing when on shuffle and going from hi-res to redbook (or vice versa), have you?
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug, so I haven't done anything specifically to fix it. There are several other small changes that could possibly affect this, but I doubt it.