Do I need to adjust Audio Midi setup?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
andrewd01

Do I need to adjust Audio Midi setup?

Post by andrewd01 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I have an Audio Research DAC8. It mentions in the instructions that I need to set the output sample rate in Audio Midi Setup to match the sample rate of the tracks being played.

It then mentions that you can use "Bit Perfect Mode" if you have Pure Music Pure Vinyl or Amarra. I interpret this to mean that these programmes bypass Audio Midi Setup completely. See top two paragraphs on P16 of the manual here: http://www.artsexcellence.nl/pdf/ARC-DAC8-manual.pdf

Can someone please confirm if Decibel does the same "Bit Perfect mode" ? I have a mixture of high res and low res tracks and don't want to faff around with Audio Midi setup during a playlist.

Can someone please explain "Hog Mode" What does it do, how do I turn it on etc. Is this required to bypass Audio Midi Setup?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Do I need to adjust Audio Midi setup?

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am

You don't need to mess with Audio MIDI Setup- if you click the option in Decibel's preferences to automatically adjust the sample rate Decibel will handle it for you.

Hog mode isn't required to bypass AMS- it is enabled with the exclusive access option in the preferences, and it disallows other programs from using the output device so you won't get audio from other applications mixed into Decibel's output.

andrewd01

Post by andrewd01 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks

mattn

Post by mattn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 pm

sbooth wrote:You don't need to mess with Audio MIDI Setup- if you click the option in Decibel's preferences to automatically adjust the sample rate Decibel will handle it for you.
But come now - surely it is far better, from a strictly sonic point of view, to have the music sample rate and the output device sample rate match, than to have Decibel (or any software) doing some skanky sample rate conversion behind the scenes, no?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:09 pm

mattn wrote:But come now - surely it is far better, from a strictly sonic point of view, to have the music sample rate and the output device sample rate match, than to have Decibel (or any software) doing some skanky sample rate conversion behind the scenes, no?
That is absolutely correct. When the Adjust sample rate for best quality option is enabled, Decibel will automatically adjust the device's sample rate to match that of the file being played so that no software sample rate conversion is required. In the event that the device doesn't support the file's sample rate, a suitable fallback is chosen.

mattn

Post by mattn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:02 am

sbooth wrote:When the Adjust sample rate for best quality option is enabled, Decibel will automatically adjust the device's sample rate to match that of the file being played so that no software sample rate conversion is required. In the event that the device doesn't support the file's sample rate, a suitable fallback is chosen.
It would be nice if Decibel would provide interface showing this - i.e. telling the user what is the sample rate of the music file being played, what is the sample rate of the device, and is the sample rate being used in fact "native" or a "fallback". Showing that sort of information is precisely the sort of thing that would set Decibel apart as a useful music player. That sort of thing, and playing the music correctly, are much more important than the silly bells and whistles proposed in the "Feature priorities" thread. Just play the music correctly, and play it with the full information that a high-end user wants. Don't try to be a database or a library or anything else.

bfn

Post by bfn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:19 pm

mattn wrote:.... Just play the music correctly, and play it with the full information that a high-end user wants. Don't try to be a database or a library or anything else.
Well, if I want to play hires FLAC files, then I don't care about iTunes, but I still need some kind of database for convenience. For me, that's not bells and whistles, but basic functionality. And it wouldn't change the quality of the sound :wink:

Presently, Decibel takes forever to load all my music files at startup. If you're familiar with Play, you will be able to compare and appreciate the difference.