Decibel Longevity

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
octbit

Decibel Longevity

Post by octbit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:15 am

Hopefully you don't think me a jerk for asking this, and hopefully this is something you can actually answer...

Decibel is priced a bit outside my comfort zone, however, I could rationalize the purchase if you feel like this project has some longevity. I've appreciated many of the other applications you've worked on, but many of them have lived and died in a fairly short span of time.

I'm not sure if it's because they were free and there wasn't much motivation (understandable), or if you like to hack around on various things and tend to lose interest.

Do you have any sort of road map for Decibel? Do you feel like it has a long and well supported life ahead of it?

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Decibel Longevity

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:42 am

octbit wrote:Decibel is priced a bit outside my comfort zone, however, I could rationalize the purchase if you feel like this project has some longevity. I've appreciated many of the other applications you've worked on, but many of them have lived and died in a fairly short span of time.
The first version of Max was released in October 2005 and the newest versions work on Lion and I have an update planned. Tag has been around since February 2006 and the latest version works on Lion, and while the latest version of Play doesn't work on Lion, it has been around since May 2007. So I take issue when you say that many projects have lived and died in a short span of time. Aside from Decibel, the newest application is Rip and it's been around since July 2009. Rip indeed stalled in the beta phase and though it isn't as full-featured as some would like, it is functional.
I'm not sure if it's because they were free and there wasn't much motivation (understandable), or if you like to hack around on various things and tend to lose interest.
I enjoy software development, and do it as a hobby in my spare time. I have a full-time "real" job, which can dictate how much extra time I have to spend on the computer. Motivation is not really the problem- time is the issue. I don't have a software team or a huge base of contributors, so juggling development time between Max, Rip, Play, Tag and Decibel is challenging.
Do you have any sort of road map for Decibel? Do you feel like it has a long and well supported life ahead of it?
I plan on adding the best of Play's features to Decibel, including DSP and a persistent audio library. I also plan on implementing an iOS remote or remote interface. Finally, I have some UI tweaks in mind. I think those three steps alone will take development through the next 8-12 months. After that, new features will be dictated by the desires of the users. There will also be some behind-the-scenes changes since Apple is changing some of the requirements for apps on the Mac App Store this fall.

octbit

Re: Decibel Longevity

Post by octbit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 am

Awesome - thanks, Stephen. I appreciate the reply and the information you provided. I totally understand you're statement about time and can respect that. I'm glad there's a plan and hope that, if it interests you, doing your own thing could ultimately wind up "paying the bills" :)

Thanks again!