memory play

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
regalimus

memory play

Post by regalimus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 am

Hi,
How does one load and play files in memory with Decibel?
David.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: memory play

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am

In the General tab of Decibel's preference window there is a check box titled Load files in memory that controls the memory play feature.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:31 am

I am once again considering buying Decibel. I have had it with iTunes and every other app and their glitchy playback. It doesn't happen often but when it does it ticks me off and since I am now retired and playing from disc SO much more I want better.

So I am wondering about gapless playback. How does it work with memory loading? Does the next track start loading into memory before the one playing finishes? Is there a slight gap while the next track loads?

Any info/insights appreciated!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 pm

The current implementation loads the next track in memory when the currently playing track finishes decoding. Based on buffer sizes and latencies the amount of time before the current track ends when this occurs varies but is normally around 1/3 second. It is certainly possible depending on the file size and disk speed that a small glitch could occur if it takes longer to load the file in memory than it takes for the file to finish playing but in practice I have not received many (any?) complaints of this occurring.