Lion compatibility

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Amused

Lion compatibility

Post by Amused » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:40 am

Hi Stephen,
With Lion being released today, I'm sure many are upgrading like I am. I was curious, have you identified Decibel's compatibility issues yet? I'm sure you're aware of some, but would it be helpful to have a thread where people can note their Lion specific bugs?

Thanks - Jason

PhishRabbi

Re: Lion compatibility

Post by PhishRabbi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:28 pm

This thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... ial-Thread seems to suggest there are problems with the automatic sample rate switching under lion. However, this may only be because of a usb driver problem- thus if you are using the digital out of your mac you may not have problems. I, however, am waiting to upgrade to 10.7 until I see some of the third party apps working properly.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

The only part of Decibel that doesn't work with Lion is integer output to the DAC. Sadly, this isn't because of a bug or oversight on my part, but rather that Apple decided to remove this functionality from the USB audio driver. This means that hog mode will still work, but it is no longer 100% certain exactly what data is being sent to the DAC.

I haven't had any other issues, including with automatic sample rate switching.

Amused

Post by Amused » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I've seen some hiccuping with sample rate changing. Essentially, Decibel stops playing when a change occurs. In my scenario last night, I was going from 96 kHz to 44.1 kHz and the player just stopped. Clicking on the Play button a couple of times resumed playing. Sometimes it required 2 clicks but other times it required just 1 click to restart playback. In terms of hardware, I've only tried it on my early 2010 mini (2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo) outputting to a Wavelength Proton.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for the report. If you are able to reliably reproduce the issue please let me know how so I can duplicate and fix the problem.

PhishRabbi

Post by PhishRabbi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:33 pm

That which "amused" describes seems to be the same as what is described in the Computer Audiophile thread I linked above. Apparently when a playlist contains files with different sample rates, decibel stops playing after the first file instead of changing sample rates and playing the next file.

Does the fact that integer mode has been disabled in the usb driver affect integer mode when using the built in (optical) spdif out?

By the way, thanks both for a great program and for these forums.

-Noah

Amused

Post by Amused » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 am

Hi Stephen,

It's been about 12 hours and 2 reboots since I last used Decibel. The result of which cleared up the issue I described above. The reboots were to do with a couple of updates to design software that I use, so I'm not sure if or how that affected Decibel. Anyway, changing between 96 kHz to 44.1kHz no longer causes Playback to stop. It performs as it did under Snow Leopard.

Now let's hope integer mode comes back.

Thanks for your time.

PhishRabbi

Post by PhishRabbi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 am

can you try it with your analog output? I'm just curious if you can show that the integer mode is a *USB* problem, as opposed to an 10.7 problem.

PhishRabbi

Post by PhishRabbi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Any update on Lion compatibility- especially wrt integer playback from the optical out?

-Noah

spocksbrother

Post by spocksbrother » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Decibel on my MacPro simply crashes on launch. I can't seem to find the crash logs because then I can send them to you. I actually seem to have lost ALL audio on my MacPro, although the first several days everything was running fine with Lion. In fact in Audio Midi Setup and System Prefernces Sound I have NO options available for sound output, my 27" monitor is gone and so is the output to my Weiss DAC. Bizaare.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 pm

PhishRabbi wrote:Any update on Lion compatibility- especially wrt integer playback from the optical out?
No updates other than Decibel is compatible with Lion.

I'm not sure about integer support over TOSlink- if you're willing to enable logging or install the developer tools we can determine what format is in use.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 pm

spocksbrother wrote:Decibel on my MacPro simply crashes on launch. I can't seem to find the crash logs because then I can send them to you. I actually seem to have lost ALL audio on my MacPro, although the first several days everything was running fine with Lion. In fact in Audio Midi Setup and System Prefernces Sound I have NO options available for sound output, my 27" monitor is gone and so is the output to my Weiss DAC. Bizaare.
That is very unfortunate! One thing you can try is to delete Decibel's playlist, located in ~/Library/Application Support/Decibel/Playlist.plist. It may fix the crash on launch problem.

Gtench

Post by Gtench » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 am

Since upgrading Flac files skip like a bad record?

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 am

spocksbrother wrote:Decibel on my MacPro simply crashes on launch. I can't seem to find the crash logs because then I can send them to you. I actually seem to have lost ALL audio on my MacPro, although the first several days everything was running fine with Lion. In fact in Audio Midi Setup and System Prefernces Sound I have NO options available for sound output, my 27" monitor is gone and so is the output to my Weiss DAC. Bizaare.
As concerns the Weiss DAC, Google is your friend:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... rking-Lion

I too use a FireWire DAC whose drivers have not yet been updated for Lion, and my solution is simple - I haven't upgraded that machine to Lion.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Gtench wrote:Since upgrading Flac files skip like a bad record?
I haven't heard of this problem with Lion. Please try increasing the buffer sizes as outlined in http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4743