Why Decibel sounds better than iTunes?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
yy92

Why Decibel sounds better than iTunes?

Post by yy92 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 am

Hello,

It's now clear for me that music sound better with decibel.
What I particularly appreciate with decibel it that player doesn't modify the sound like Amarra or other audio engine can do it.
It's just a better sound.

As I know decibel use the CoreAudio from Mac OS X. Itunes do the same.
So I would like to understand why Decibel sounds better than iTunes.
What decibel do that iTunes doesn't?

Thanks,
Mathieu

richard99

Re: Why Decibel sounds better than iTunes?

Post by richard99 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:44 am

yy92 wrote:decibel use the CoreAudio from Mac OS X. Itunes do the same.
So I would like to understand why Decibel sounds better than iTunes.
What decibel do that iTunes doesn't?
As you will be aware, your speaker cables are designed for the electrons to flow in one direction only, from the computer to the speakers. When you play a song with iTunes, it outputs the electrons going in all different directions. Some of them reach the speakers, but some of them hit the sides of the cable. They may even bounce off the sides and travel in the *reverse* direction, which can damage your speaker cables. Decibel is superior because it examines each electron and ensures it is pointed in the right direction before it is launched. It makes a big difference in the quality of the sound, as double-blind studies have confirmed.

MyronGochnauer

Post by MyronGochnauer » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:56 pm

The question deserves a sensible answer. Since iTunes and Decibel are using the same basic *hardware*, some of the usual audiophile explanations of improved sound (e.g. better quality components) are not relevant. It seems to me that there are two possible explanations for improved sound:

1) Decibel performs *fewer* operations that can introduce errors into the processing. This would be the digital equivalent of simplifying an amplifier circuit design, removing or switching off sound shaping controls and the like in preamplifiers, and similar "clean" practices. I have no idea whether Decibel is a meaningfully "cleaner" design.

2) Decibel performs its operations more accurately: it loses less audio information and introduces fewer objectionable audio artefacts. This would be the digital equivalent of better frequency response, lower noise, lower distortion and so in the preamplifiers and other components.

The description of Decibel suggests that the second of these is the major explanation for Decibel's superior sound.

I would not claim to have golden ears, but my subjective impression of Decibel in comparison with, say, Vox, is that the sound is "deeper" or "rounder". This is purely an illusion, of course, but it seems likely that it is created by complex overtones that our brains interpret as indicating something about the space in which the sound source is located. So I suspect that Decibel does a better job of converting the digital file to a form that can ultimately control/drive speakers: Either less "ambience" (or overtone) data is being lost, or the data is not being submerged or lost in noise/error generated during the conversion.

mcdan

Post by mcdan » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:25 pm

There's one more rather important thing to add. iTunes has imbedded eq. You can not turn it off.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:12 pm

mcdan wrote:There's one more rather important thing to add. iTunes has imbedded eq. You can not turn it off.
Sure you can. Go the menu bar and click Window, drag to Equalizer, then uncheck "On."