Poll: Feature priorities

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

What should be the focus of the next major release?

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
34%
An integrated music library manager with playlists, statistics, etc.
66%

Total votes: 115

Re: Poll: Feature priorities

Post by offline » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm

and a user's manual, please.

munkjack

Post by munkjack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 am

I would like to control the player with a remote, either an iOS device or an Apple IR handset. I have bought software called Mira which can be customised to operate anything that can be done with a keystroke but at present that is rather limited, only volume change seems to work and there is no play/pause keystroke, if this could be introduced and the next/last track function fixed that would be great.

krofa

Post by krofa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:42 am

OK.

WMA support...

See, my guess is that, in terms of coding, supporting WMA would not be an issue for you at all.

But then again, there might be some licensing issues re the use of an MS creation. Or maybe the folks over at Flip have an "unofficial" exclusivity thing going on for them on the Mac...

Anyhow, I'd vote that if for nothing else, then for completeness sake having WMA support would be great.

Better yet, having the option of choosing between all relevant lossy codecs out there would definitely be a plus. If you had to compress, you'd be able to choose the codec that sounds best to you. (When it comes to lossless codecs, I'm yet to compare all of those just to be on the safe side about sound - yeah, I do tend to chase ghosts at times in the search for audio fidelity. After all, if even the way digital volume sliders work affects sound...)

Finally, Decibel would in that case be the only player to support ALAC, FLAC & "WMLAC" simultaneously...

So just in case there are no licensing issues & costs involved, why not integrate WMA into the arsenal as well?

Best,
k.

FamousMortimer

Post by FamousMortimer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 pm

You can organise things by artist, album, etc. I find it very useful with other music players to be able to organise by file path. I have lots of music files, and I've sort-of organised and named the folders so organising by file path is the most convenient way.

I don't know if this is available in the paid version, and if it is I'll certainly buy it, but I was just throwing this out there.

mijbil

Post by mijbil » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm

[I just posted this as a topic before I noticed this thread - apologies for the duplication!]

Hello, first thanks for a wonderful program. And with the disaster of iTunes 11, I am even more dependent on it. One function though is missing which would be a *tremendous* improvement: multi field search. So e.g. if I search for "beatles abbey road" I get the Abbey Road album, or if I search for "bach canata" I get all bach cantatas (like iTunes until itunes 11 worked).

Also, I'm curious, why is that that Decibel (and some other music players that use the itunes library) can search the very same iTunes library as iTunes far far faster? Why can't Apple do whatever you and the others are doing? Or, what does Decibel do to improve this aspect?

Thanks!
-mijbil

Mike Nomad

Post by Mike Nomad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm

I've been using Decibel for a while now... great stuff.

The only feature request I have at this time: SHN file support, please. Then I can get rid of Cog.

mbrennwa

Post by mbrennwa » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 pm

sbooth wrote:I'm finishing up version 1.2.4, which I hope will be the last in the 1.2 series. There are two main features I'm considering as the focus for version 1.3- an iOS remote control or library management.
I know that this thread has been going on for a while now, and it may seem a bit late to chime in now. But better late than never... And my vote goes for improved (i.e., easier) iTunes integration and playlist support!

Here's why: I just tried the Fidelia player demo. Fidelia displays the iTunes library and its playlists right at the main window, and there is a simple search box to track down artists, albums and songs. This is very easy peasy and, at least for my way of music listening, it's also much more convenient than the Decibel iTunes browser. With Decibel, I have to click the iTunes button to open the iTunes browser, find (and select the songs), click "add all" or "add selected", wait until Decibel added them to its list, close the iTunes browser, find the added songs in the Decibel list (which may be pretty crowded already), and click again to play them. I am usually too lazy to track down songs that I don't need anymore in the Decibel play list, so the list gets longer and longer. Not so with Fidelia, because it uses one single "browser" for all libraries (iTunes, its own, etc.). I would have switched from Decibel to Fidelia, if the sound coming out of Fidelia wouldn't be so bloated…

Changing the Decibel "music browser" to something similar like Fidelia would GREAT!

hifinut

Post by hifinut » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Although I understand the calls for better Library management (the slow load is irritating), real audiophiles would have the program loaded exclusively on their mac. Many of us use a headless setup with Mac mini's a good remote would bypass the use of "remotix" that would be fantastic.

daikan

Post by daikan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 am

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
for what? excuse me, but it's bullshit. better make that app support media keys!
it's good and I love it on players that I used before - it was foobar on windows and clementine in the begining of using mac for me. but I'd prefer integrated tag editor and converter than feature of lib and statistics.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2012 - Microlab FC 550
osx 10.8.2
decibel - spotify
________________________________________________Image

daikan

Post by daikan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 am

ps. forgot to mention my plea regarding covers, please, add feature of reading cover files in folders with music. I was fucked up when add covers to files. It's funny but all players, that I used before, supporting this feature, so I was didn't forced to waste my time with this trifle. I'd call this feature "prioritet number one" from my list.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2012 - Microlab FC 550
osx 10.8.2
decibel - spotify
________________________________________________Image

encosion

Post by encosion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:29 pm

#1 Support for GLOBAL hotkeys (or just the play/pause media key!)
.... everything else is just child's play ----
#2 Ability to generate ReplayGain tags, on multiple albums at a time (Currently using foobar in a VM to do this!)
#3 Ability to edit/correct tags (minor request)
#4 An equaliser plugin (for those rare occasions where I need to massage the bands whilst listening to poorly mastered music!)

P.S. As for a library function, personally, I'm not interested in this as I have my own finder-based filing system that works for me. I'm looking for a simple rock-solid bullet-proof player (i.e. Decibel) that will scrobble, and let me control my music whilst doing other things (global media keys!)

mvcl

Post by mvcl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm

I'd like to be able to "pin up" the volume controls. This will let me continue to use other parts of decibel while music is playing with the volume controls remaining up and accessible.

mvcl

Post by mvcl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm

I would appreciate being able to insert silence, e.g. 1 or 2 seconds, between songs. If the default value is changeable that would be handy. Perhaps units of 0.1 secs would be great.

Kraft

Post by Kraft » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 am

Crossfeed would be nice to have since I use Decibel mainly with headphones/IEMs.

jrodman

Post by jrodman » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Completely minimal "library" that's just a searchable screen with "Play songs from this album" => best.