Poll: Feature priorities

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

What should be the focus of the next major release?

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
34%
An integrated music library manager with playlists, statistics, etc.
66%

Total votes: 115

sbooth
Site Admin

Poll: Feature priorities

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:56 am

I'm finishing up version 1.2.4, which I hope will be the last in the 1.2 series. There are two main features I'm considering as the focus for version 1.3- an iOS remote control or library management.

Fuga

Re: Feature priorities

Post by Fuga » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:13 am

I especially would appreciate the "Finder button" coming back.

tcdk

Re: Poll: Feature priorities

Post by tcdk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:37 pm

1) Most of all I would like to see a control to invert polarity. Preferably a way to code the polarity of individual tracks, but the ability to invert polarity seems an essential feature.

2) A "Restart Track" command would be helpful. My system has to re-load filters when the sample rate changes and sometimes the music starts before the system has re-sychronized. Stopping and dragging the position marker works but is a little more cumbersome.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:31 pm

I especially would appreciate the "Add selection of iTunes" button coming back.

untangle

Post by untangle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:57 pm

My rationale for #1 (iRemote):

A truly innovative (read custom) iRemote can be quite differentiating for Decibel. While some audiophiles shun such things, many would love to just turn off their monitors (and video cards!) and use an iPad.

But, more importantly, there's an opportunity to leverage the touchscreen interface to build ways to interact with a music player that simply don't exist today. I can think of several just sitting here.

OTOH, I can think of relatively few ways to compete with iTunes as a library manager. Yes, it can be improved upon (somewhat). But why and to what end? I think that the Decibel integration to iTunes/OSX is cool and quite useful, esp if a simple "copy selection from iTunes/Finder selection" functionality is reinstated as a supplement to the current.

Bob

Amused

Post by Amused » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:05 pm

As much as I would love to be able to control Decibel remotely, being able to create and manage playlists within Decibel would be more valuable for me right now. Skipping iTunes as much as possible aside from ripping CDs would be ideal. Depending on the type of info you're considering on tallying, stats is a low priority for me. I think rounding out Decibel's feature set would be your best plan of action before branching off to external components. Anyway, I would be very happy with either :mrgreen:

callisto

Post by callisto » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Don't quit the application with "X" or cmd+w already!!!
Fixing minor bugs before adding huge features should be priority...

CG

Post by CG » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 am

"I especially would appreciate the 'Add selection of iTunes' button coming back."
"I especially would appreciate the 'Finder button' coming back."

You guys are all really confusing me. Both of these features are in the version of Decibel I downloaded just today. I'd have to check, but I think they have been there for some time in the 1.2.4 prerelease versions. Maybe even earlier.

"A "Restart Track" command would be helpful. My system has to re-load filters when the sample rate changes and sometimes the music starts before the system has re-sychronized. Stopping and dragging the position marker works but is a little more cumbersome."

Gee, I can just "press" the Rewind button (next to Play/Pause) and do exactly that once a track starts playing. A far better question is why your system needs to reload filters during some sample rate change. Can you explain this?

"Don't quit the application with "X" or cmd+w already!!!"

This is an inconsistency within many OS X applications. Some do shut when the last window (there's really only one main window in Decibel) is shut down while others stay active. Personally, I'm not sure which approach follows the official Apple user interface guidelines, or those guidelines even covers this. Good question. Stephen?

Amused

Post by Amused » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 am

CG wrote:"Don't quit the application with "X" or cmd+w already!!!"

This is an inconsistency within many OS X applications. Some do shut when the last window (there's really only one main window in Decibel) is shut down while others stay active. Personally, I'm not sure which approach follows the official Apple user interface guidelines, or those guidelines even covers this. Good question. Stephen?
This is what's stated under OS X Support: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343
Application and other Mac OS X keyboard commands
Note: Some applications may not support all of the below application key combinations.
Command-Q: Quit the frontmost application
Command-W: Close the frontmost window
I believe these are fairly standardized keyboard shortcuts. Closing the window to quit the app is a Windows paradigm.

CG

Post by CG » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 am

Well, like I said, I sure didn't know. Now I do. Thanks for the information!

I guess some OS X third-party application authors didn't know either...

retuow

Post by retuow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:25 am

I voted for option 1, as one of the main "features" for me is the lack of a library. I'll keep my music organized via the Finder myself, I don't want a music player to mess with them. The current "Save Playlist" feature is more than enough for me as well.

I love the "minimalism" of the current Decibel, I'd hate to see it become another bloated application.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:24 pm

callisto wrote:Don't quit the application with "X" or cmd+w already!!!
Fixing minor bugs before adding huge features should be priority...
This is not a bug, but rather the designed behavior- which you obviously disagree with!

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:37 pm

CG wrote:"I especially would appreciate the 'Add selection of iTunes' button coming back."
You guys are all really confusing me. Both of these features are in the version of Decibel I downloaded just today.
Yes, but please understand, now the two commands are in one button (plugin) which requires two clicks. In V.1.1 we had two buttons which required one click each. That was comfortable and is very important if you have to use this command very often (like me).
I suggest to make two plugin's out of the plugin 'Add selection'. So the user can choose what he needs. Thank's sbooth for your engagement!

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Alberto wrote:
CG wrote:"I especially would appreciate the 'Add selection of iTunes' button coming back."
You guys are all really confusing me. Both of these features are in the version of Decibel I downloaded just today.
Yes, but please understand, now the two commands are in one button (plugin) which requires two clicks. In V.1.1 we had two buttons which required one click each. That was comfortable and is very important if you have to use this command very often (like me).
I suggest to make two plugin's out of the plugin 'Add selection'. So the user can choose what he needs. Thank's sbooth for your engagement!
Agreed. One button may look elegant (actually haven't used latest versions) but making the user do more work is perhaps not elegant.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm not a big playlist fan preferring to just grab selections of music via the itunes dialogue. So if that would work under the IOS remote then that would be my pick.