Poll: Feature priorities

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

What should be the focus of the next major release?

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
34%
An integrated music library manager with playlists, statistics, etc.
66%

Total votes: 115

Pedro

Re: Poll: Feature priorities

Post by Pedro » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:10 pm

I voted for the integrated library but in fact I think it would be enough to have better integration with iTunes e.g.:
- ability to change song's rating from Decibel
- play counts in iTunes recognizing that the song was played (via Decibel)

z0mbi3

Post by z0mbi3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:17 am

Playlists & ratings are the only thing keeping me from buying this software... I already have an Apple IR Remote that I can use.
A Bowtie (or similar) integration would be welcome too (and it would give you instant iPad/iPhone remote) ;)
Finally, if Lyrica could be used as lyrics fetcher, I'd readily uninstall iTunes :D

jpmort

Post by jpmort » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 am

Just to give a bit of background to myself. A pc user, except for the last six months where I bought a mac air. I play music in the evening, through good but small speakers. I am not a music, er whats the term, enthusiast. I just like to hear good quality sounds that are better than the usual mp3 type. I like to hear the different instruments distinctly, and clarity, the realness of the music. I am saying this so that you can decide how typical I am.

I have jsut got to grips with itunes. I still have my music files in in folders, and I am in the process of feeding them to itunes to organise. I am suspicious of automated progs that help me by doing things for me, but I have come to terms with a loss of control of folder structure and give that up to itunes. Also, itunes can do that very well, and give me smart playlists, etc. So I am happy with its library capability. If you had asked me a week ago, I would have said that I wanted to keep my music in my own folders. I think that a music library is quite difficult to get right for everyone, and itunes has spent lots of time getting that right, with all sorts of different features, that would have to be replicated in Decibel.

So, my feature priority has changed from a separate library, to integration with itunes library. Which I think decibel does quite well at the moment, maybe more of a graphic view of the itunes library available from Decibel. The ability to access the itunes library, its smart playlists etc from Decibel.

I dont use ipods or anything else, jsut the laptop. But I think I will be connecting my laptop to my hifi in the near future through the audio i/o.

Actually, I really like Decibel as it is now, and I would be happy that development was focused on ensuring it remains great output, under different circumstances, and ease of use. Oh yes, a good help section. As a new user I am spending lots of time wondering what things are and how some of them work is not always intuitive. I am talking about the itunes and finder selection underneath the search box. It took me a week to figure that out!

Oh, and lastly, I cant quite get the hang of getting a common volume output every time I use it, sometimes I have the volume on max and its not very loud. I get it right in the end, but its frustrating, and I expect the volume to be at a constant level when I start decibel under any circumstances. I think that a big factor in successful software is that someone can use it, and use it as they want, in the first few minutes of using it for the first time.

Keep up the good work. Great product!

john

Dexter12345

Post by Dexter12345 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I would really like to see some cool skins and please please add Media kyes support:D

Dexter12345

Post by Dexter12345 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Please add library manager and individual playlist!:D

Analogue nut

Post by Analogue nut » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:33 am

Greatings,

I just downloaded Decibel. Very good sound. Much better than iTunes. My wish list is to have a remote app for my iPad. guess I'm spoiled.

Thanks for listening.

Ed K
Kansas

StanL

Post by StanL » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:28 am

It would be great if an Airfoil type of feature was added. My stereo system is not located within USB distance of my computer.

twschulz

Post by twschulz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:16 pm

controla wrote:Just registered to second the opinion of all who are requesting CMD+W -expected- behavior, app should not quit but close.
IMHO, this app is geared to users who expect a certain level of "pro"ness, and power users do use shortcuts, cmd+w being the most used one.

Hope you can take this as a request and please us :)

thanks, love the app.
Just registered to third the opinion. I have closed Decibel more times than I want to think because I hit CMD+W when I didn't know Decibel was the active app or just thought it was iTunes (yes, I have to run that program too, sometimes). The silence that came afterwards was only punctuated by my expletives.

Please, consider it. If it was open source, I would have submitted a patch for this long ago. It should be straight forward to do. Otherwise, the app is terrific.

Dexter12345

Post by Dexter12345 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

[quote="twschulz"][quote="controla"]Just registered to second the opinion of all who are requesting CMD+W -expected- behavior, app should not quit but close.
IMHO, this app is geared to users who expect a certain level of "pro"ness, and power users do use shortcuts, cmd+w being the most used one.

Hope you can take this as a request and please us :)

This has an easy fix. You don't need Cmd+W

Just go in the System Pref, keyboard, shortcuts and just add your own cmd+ Y (or waht ever letter you want) for the program Decibel and for the Menyname ''Hide Decibel.'' It's really easy. Is some cases you will have to reboot the computer to get it to work but then it's working great!

mpowered

Post by mpowered » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:09 am

I have a basic question and I have no way to really even structure the question but, is there a way to use all of the "i don't know what they are called" plugin's from the Lion Midi Interface. That interface has a 33 band graphic eq, a parametric eq and a host of other features. I know that Channel D uses them and for tuning my speakers or my stereo to my room acoustics for my individual taste :) . Is there a way to use that interface?
We are all connected on a cosmic string, it wraps, coils, relaxes then it loops and we cross from the beginning to the end in the blink of an eye.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:48 pm

You are referring to Audio Units. The current version of Decibel does not support them, but future versions will.

lifegears

Post by lifegears » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:21 am

From the pool result you should introduce both of the two features :wink:

How about the next version (with the 2 features included) relase date? I hope soon, my FLAC library needs an integration.

steirmonkey

Post by steirmonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 pm

A (admittedly very late) vote: Remote control. Here my logic: I'd love a library at some point, but a library is useful before one is actually listening to music. More or two more minutes maneuvering around a built-in/not built-in library won't make too much of a difference to my enjoyment of music. A remote control is involved in the actual listening (pause when I need to, move back a little to listen to a passage again, etc.). So remote is more important to me.

lifegears

Post by lifegears » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm

lifegears wrote:From the pool result you should introduce both of the two features :wink:

How about the next version (with the 2 features included) relase date? I hope soon, my FLAC library needs an integration.
No answer in 20 days?

Oh, and how about integrating your software "Rip" in the Decibel App? I think that can be useful, like "ripping from cd and directly integrate it in the Decibel library".
I think that 24€ are enought for and update like that, aren't they?

In addition, software like Enqueue are growing fast and dont' allow too much time for the updates.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:36 pm

lifegears wrote:No answer in 20 days?
I can't specify a release date because the UI/UX development is still ongoing. I hope to have a public beta available for testing by late Feb/early March.
Oh, and how about integrating your software "Rip" in the Decibel App? I think that can be useful, like "ripping from cd and directly integrate it in the Decibel library".
I think that 24€ are enought for and update like that, aren't they?
My goal with Decibel is to produce a top-quality audio player without a lot of feature creep. I think that features such as file conversion, CD ripping, etc., are best left to separate apps.
In addition, software like Enqueue are growing fast and dont' allow too much time for the updates.
This is probably true, but please keep in mind that both Enqueue and Sonora use my audio playback engine. I've spent hundreds of hours developing and tweaking the code that actually performs the playback. The other players only have UI code to worry about, whereas I've written everything.