Poll: Feature priorities

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

What should be the focus of the next major release?

A custom iPhone/iPad remote control
34%
An integrated music library manager with playlists, statistics, etc.
66%

Total votes: 115

DannyG

Re: Poll: Feature priorities

Post by DannyG » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 am

For me, song ratings are important; it would be great to have the iTunes ratings show in Decibel.

So my vote goes to library management, allthough an iPad remote would be nice too!

PhishRabbi

Post by PhishRabbi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm

For me, itunes is the best way for me to manage my content (and I continue to use it for background/ non-critical listening). The current "itunes browser" and "add selection" buttons are perfect for me.

I want a remote app! And I'd pay for it!

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:05 am

Stephen, pretty please with sugar on top, can we get Decibel to have the ability to handle playlists that source http links...as in, when using a good Music Streaming web server like Subsonic or others, and when I build a playlist in those streaming utilities and click play, I want the web links, if the .m3u filetype is associated with Decibel, to launch Decibel and begin playing the first song in the web-based playlist. VLC does this just fine, but then again, it's VLC, and I'd like to use Decibel's superior audio quality for that. I seriously think you would sell even more copies of Decibel as web-based music streaming becomes more and more ubiquitous and people want top-notch playback quality. The horse is out of the barn on this, and streaming one's library wherever one happens to be is the wave of the future, not simply local storage for all of one's music files.

Thanks for listening!

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Not so much streaming from specific internet enterprises, but streaming my home stuff in Decibel's quality would be killer.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Fuga wrote:Not so much streaming from specific internet enterprises, but streaming my home stuff in Decibel's quality would be killer.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Streaming from my own server running Subsonic for example. Go to subsonic.org and take a look, that's the premier music server IMHO, for both internal LAN-based streaming and for me when I'm away from home travelling, on trains, planes, automobiles, etc. I have many users using my server as their "cloud", and they'd love to use Decibel as their streaming client. All that needs to happen to make that possible is for Decibel to be able to follow an http link inside of a playlist (it already supports playlists in the m3u format or what have you).

claytontstanley

Post by claytontstanley » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Looking on the Decibel site, it says that the application is a Universal Binary, which should mean that it works with PPC. I downloaded the app, and tried to install it on my fully-updated PPC G5 (runs 10.5.8), and the app doesn't work.

Looking back on the Decibel site, it seems that it is a Universal Binary, but you have to run Snow Leopard at a minimum. PPCs cannot run Snow Leopard.

If you've taken the time to compile the app as a Universal Binary, (if the effort it minimal) could you please take the time to check compatibility with Leopard? I understand that there aren't many PPC users still around, so if this takes too much time to do, I'd much rather have the iOS remote capability, and I'll just purchase a new Mac Mini.

Thanks,
-Clayton

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:56 pm

claytontstanley wrote:Looking on the Decibel site, it says that the application is a Universal Binary, which should mean that it works with PPC. I downloaded the app, and tried to install it on my fully-updated PPC G5 (runs 10.5.8), and the app doesn't work. Looking back on the Decibel site, it seems that it is a Universal Binary, but you have to run Snow Leopard at a minimum. PPCs cannot run Snow Leopard
That text was a relic that I had missed- once I decided to required Snow Leopard for Decibel, I removed PPC compatibility because as you point out SL doesn't run on PPC processors.

Veovis

Post by Veovis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 pm

A library manager would be fantastic and a natural next step imo.

claytontstanley

Post by claytontstanley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:56 pm

If you work on the Remote app, could you look into building a DACP server for Decibel? http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_touchremote

I use this plugin with Foobar2000, which allows me to commandeer Apple's remote app and use it with Foobar (instead of iTunes).

I think this means you'd need to build an integrated library manager into Decibel first, and then make the DACP server.

I'd be willing to pay more for all of this stuff, as the end state of controlling your library through Apple's Remote app is very slick. And I dislike iTunes, so having a much better backend (Decibel) makes sense to me. I'd then finally be able to ditch my PC and Foobar2000, and use OS X + Decibel + Apple Remote App to enjoy my tunes.

-Clayton

josquin

Post by josquin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi all,

As I have already notice it one time, I would really like to have streaming supported as my flac files are stored on subsonic http://www.subsonic.org

And once again, thanks for the good job!

npurk

Post by npurk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Music library manager for sure,put away those iPhon/iPad stuff...

richard99

Post by richard99 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:27 am

sbooth wrote:
callisto wrote:Don't quit the application with "X" or cmd+w already!!!
Fixing minor bugs before adding huge features should be priority...
This is not a bug, but rather the designed behavior- which you obviously disagree with!
The correct behaviour is for the app to remain running even with no windows open. However, while in this state OS X may decide to quit the app any time it likes in order to free up some memory.

detoxguy

Post by detoxguy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am

I would love to be able to use Decibel with AirPlay to my Apple TV which I have connected to my DAC. For my set up that, combined with an iOS remote app would be absolutely perfect. I use Decibel when I'm in my office and love the improvement in sound quality but when in the living room with my main rig I revert to iTunes simply so I don't have to drag out the laptop and plug into DAC.

Pretty please?

greg788

Post by greg788 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Definitely a remote app for the iphone / ipad

Hammie

Post by Hammie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I would prefer the iPad app. I rarely use any stats or playlists. Additionally, my mac Mini is headless with no monitor connected so a "remote control" app would be ideal.