Cutting out during playback

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Amused

Cutting out during playback

Post by Amused » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:18 am

Hi,

I'm having issues with playback. Music is cutting out at random intervals for a fraction of a second, as if a pause button is tapped a couple of times. This has been happening since version 1.2.0, and I've been keeping current, so I'm running 1.2.3. As I've stated earlier, it happens at random intervals and can't seem to figure it out. This happens if I'm running Decibel by itself or if I'm running other applications. Hog mode is enabled, loading into memory is not, nor is digital volume, and sample rate conversion is at max. Anyway, I tried to enable logging, and followed the instructions provided in the sticky, but upon relaunching Decibel, it does nothing...Decibel never completes the launching process and I have to force quit. If I delete the .properties file, Decibel launches normally.

Thanks for your insight.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Cutting out during playback

Post by sbooth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 am

I have a few questions about your setup:
  • Do the dropouts seem to occur only on files at certain sample rates?
  • Do you have the "Automatically adjust sample rate" option enabled?
  • If not, what is the device sample rate set to?
  • Do you receive an "Audio Processing Overload" status update at the bottom of the window when the dropouts occur?

Amused

Post by Amused » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 am

Do the dropouts seem to occur only on files at certain sample rates?
All files are ALAC 44.1/16.

Do you have the "Automatically adjust sample rate" option enabled?
"Adjust sample rate for best quality" is checked, and "Sample Rate Converter" is set to maximum quality.

If not, what is the device sample rate set to?
I hope I'm answering what you're asking for. I experience these cut-outs with both of my USB-S/PDIF converters set for either 96/24 and 44.1/16.

Do you receive an "Audio Processing Overload" status update at the bottom of the window when the dropouts occur?
I've never seen that status under any condition.

Thanks for your time!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks for the information. One last question- do the glitches occur if hog mode is disabled?

Amused

Post by Amused » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:57 pm

sbooth wrote:Thanks for the information. One last question- do the glitches occur if hog mode is disabled?
Yes.
I had to double check before replying as I've never run Decibel in non-hog mode.

Thanks.

Amused

Post by Amused » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 am

Hi Stephen,

Were you able to spend any additional time on this issue? If so, were you able to find any causes?

Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 pm

My best guess is that the glitches are happening because Decibel's default buffer sizes are too small. One thing that could help is adjusting the buffer sizes. These are hidden options (not exposed by the program itself) but they can be set using Terminal.

There are two options that affect buffering: RingBufferCapacity and RingBufferWriteChunkSize. RingBufferCapacity determines how many audio sample frames will be stored in the player's internal buffer, and RingBufferWriteChunkSize determines the minimum read size from files. The default value for RingBufferCapacity is 16384 and the default value for RingBufferWriteChunkSize is 2048.

You can set them on the command line in Terminal with the following commands:

Code: Select all

$ defaults write org.sbooth.Decibel RingBufferCapacity -int 32768
$ defaults write org.sbooth.Decibel RingBufferWriteChunkSize -int 4096
to double the values.

Amused

Post by Amused » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Stephen,

I've executed those commands and no cut-outs thus far. It's been close to 40 minutes now of continuous playback. I'll give you an update later this evening after some extended listening, but the changes seem to have done the trick for this issue.

Many thanks!

Amused

Post by Amused » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi Stephen,

I downloaded the latest pre-release, 1.2.4 (5), and tried it this morning. The audio cut-out issue was present, so I tried doubling the RingBufferCapacity and RingBufferWriteChunkSize...it didn't work. Do you know of any changes to the pre-release code that might impact the effects of increasing these values?

Anyway, I restored Decibel back to 1.2.3 (23) and it works perfectly again.

Thanks.

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 am

I just saw that error in Decibel v1.2.6.
I've always used hog mode, but the error came up while playing a regular 16-bit FLAC file.

Ironically, I had no audio cutout, but I wonder if it happened because the music is being hosted on a MacZFS-formatted hard drive?
“Unless you’ve seen KISS live, you don't understand the band.” —Paul Stanley, KISS. (2003).