192khz files

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
gmushlin2

192khz files

Post by gmushlin2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Is it possible to play 192 khz files on my Mac? Audio MIDI Setup only allows setting my Digital Out to 2ch-24bit at 96 khz. My Sound processor is an Anthem D2, which is capable of upsampling up to 192 khz.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: 192khz files

Post by sbooth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 pm

This is definitely possible. However, I assume what you really want to know is whether you can play 192 KHz files without resampling- is this correct?

I'm not familiar with the Anthem D2, but in general to generate 192 KHz audio coming out of your Mac you'll need either a high speed USB DAC or a FireWire DAC with a driver supporting 192. If you are using the built-in digital out, I think you're limited to 96 KHz.

gmushlin2

Post by gmushlin2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:45 pm

From your reply, it sounds like I cannot really play 192 khz files without the USB or Firewire DAC, since the Mac will only send out up to 96 khz. I am using a Mac Pro, so would an expansion card work?

Please make some suggestions, if you can, as to which DACs or expansion cards will do the trick. I've tried searching, and have been advised that some ads are deceptive, i.e., they claim 192 khz, but are actually upsampling 96 khz to 192. Also, will any of these enhance the performance of Decibel?

Thanks for your help.

gmushlin2

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:19 pm

I think the best DAC for your situation will depend on your intended use. Here are a few questions that will probably impact your decision:
  • Do you listen primarily to stereo tracks?
  • Is multichannel support important?
  • What system are you integrating the DAC into? What interfaces does it support?

bfn

Post by bfn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 am

gmushlin2 wrote:From your reply, it sounds like I cannot really play 192 khz files without the USB or Firewire DAC, since the Mac will only send out up to 96 khz. I am using a Mac Pro, so would an expansion card work?

Please make some suggestions, if you can, as to which DACs or expansion cards will do the trick. I've tried searching, and have been advised that some ads are deceptive, i.e., they claim 192 khz, but are actually upsampling 96 khz to 192. Also, will any of these enhance the performance of Decibel?

Thanks for your help.

gmushlin2
I'm using an Apogee Rosetta 200 DAC, connected through Firewire (optional Firewire card in Apogee expansion slot required). In my MIDI setup, I choose the Apogee as my output device and I get all the options, from 44100 up to 192000. I can allow Decibel to take over and adjust the sample rate according to my different hires files to be sent, or I could choose to upsample everything on the mac and only send 192 khz files to the DAC.

With Firewire being part of your Mac, you should maybe favor a Firewire DAC. Apogee integrates beautifully with Apple.

gmushlin2

Post by gmushlin2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:02 am

Thank you for your reply.
I was hoping for a less expensive solution just to find out if the sound quality is significantly better that what I am getting presently - not just on 192khz files, but on all sound files. I mostly have ripped vinyl at 24bit-96khz, and a few tracks from HDTracks. I see 192khz are being offered now, as well as 5 channel, and would like to see how much improvement I can get.
In order to work properly, would I need a preamp or stereo sound processor with a DAC that accepts 192khz files? It appears that mine will accept 96khz files and then upsample everything to 192khz.
Is there any way I can experience the improvement in sound before I spend all that money on something that may not be worth the improvement? Any opinions on what I can expect? I've read many opinions that 192khz is just a waste of hard drive space.

bfn

Post by bfn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 am

I can only tell you what I'm using. 2 channels is all I need, I'm not interested in a cinema setup with special effects, just good music. I keep my chain as simple as possible, going digital from Mac to DAC, from DAC analogue to preamp and from there into active speakers. If I hear a difference between 96 and 192 khz files, I can't definitely say, since I'm lacking a true A/B comparison setup. There might be an improvement with 192 khz, but I'm not sure yet. So far, it depends a lot more on the quality of the individual recording. Also, a better DAC might do more for you than 192 khz files. Dito for the other hifi components. With the Apogee Rosetta, my CDs sound better than my SACDs, playing via my SACD Player, used to sound.

BTW, there is also the Apogee Duet 2, with USB high speed connectivity.

gmushlin2

Post by gmushlin2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:37 am

Thank you for your comments. It looks like you see the situation very fairly.

I guess the key for me is to use the analog input in my sound processor (Anthem Statement D2) instead of digital, using the Mac DAC that you are using. I think the DAC in the D2 is excellent (it should be great, considering the price), but if I want to try 192 khz, I guess I will have to bypass it in favor of the Mac DAC. The other option I heard about is the Oppo BDP 95 BluRay player for about $1000. I understand it can serve as a music server by attaching a hard drive to it. I'm sure Decibel will not work on it, however, and I don't know, besides for it being capable of 192 khz, whether or not the music will sound as good.

I can live with what I have now. I have found ripped vinyl at 24-96 with clicks and some other background noise removed to me sound much better than CDs on any device I've tried as far as soundstage and definition are concerned. I'm sure my top-of-the-line Paradigm/Anthem Statement system has a lot to do with it sounding so good (also a good turntable and cartridge). I was surprised that Decibel appeared to make it sound even better. I think I'll wait for awhile before investing in the DAC for my Mac, just in case there are other developments. The surround sound files from iTrax track website are not special effects like movie files. My impression is that they attempt what the old Quad Stereo LPs tried to do.I'd be willing to try that, though the tracks are rather expensive. I also want to see if enough people are hearing significant differences.

Thanks again.

sq225917

Post by sq225917 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:31 pm

I listen to quite a lot of classical, mostly on vinyl but a bit comes from several HD online sources, my favourite being the 2l.no label.

My dac, an M2Tech Young is async usb and capable of replaying up to 384khz, some of which I've downloaded from 2l.no. Sometimes I think I can hear a difference between 384khz/24bit and cd res but I'd certainly never lose any sleep over those differences. I'd imagine the differences between genuine 192khz material and 96khz up-sampled in the dac would be inaudible to anyone who did it with their eyes closed, me included.