.m3u Playlists???

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
elduderino

.m3u Playlists???

Post by elduderino » Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Stephen, I've been using Decibel for some time for my high rez FLAC's, etc. Great work once again. I am now trying to associate .m3u files on my Mac to default to playing with Decibel, but doesn't seem that Decibel likes them. These .m3u's are coming from the Subsonic server if you're familiar with it. It's web UI has the ability to trigger an "external" player like Decibel or Winamp etc. I'd prefer to use Decibel, but doesn't like the .m3u playlist I created in Subsonic. VLC and Winamp work just fine. I'd love my users to be able to use Decibel, as they hear me rave about it all the time for my own personal use.

Am I overlooking something that would allow playback of .m3u's? Thanks again as always for the fantastic app's.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: .m3u Playlists???

Post by sbooth » Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 am

Decibel should be able to open M3U files just as it does any other audio file- either by using the Add To Library menu command (command O) or dragging one into the playlist. From your post I assume that this isn't working, though. Could you share a sample M3U here that is giving you problems?

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Tue May 31, 2011 5:00 am

I have tried dragging an m3u in and also using the Command-O Add Tracks option. Neither works at all, the songs don't even show up in the Decibel app window at all. The same m3u plays just fine in VLC, but not in Decibel and not in Play for that matter. These come from Subsonic if you choose to use an 'External Player' after choosing your tracks. It uses a playlist which must be either m3u or pls. I choose to use m3u as I've never used a pls and don't know what the difference is. But in any case, yes, I have a sample m3u that you could use to test. But to be clear, none of them work. But yes I can give you a sample. Where can I send it?

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I took a look at the m3u playlist that you sent, and the reason it doesn't work with Decibel is that all the tracks it contains point to http:// URLs. Right now Decibel doesn't support streaming.