Does Decibel decode HDCD?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.

Does Decibel decode HDCD?

Post by randian » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I have a fair number of ALAC-encoded rips from HDCD-encoded discs.

Site Admin

Re: Does Decibel decode HDCD?

Post by sbooth » Mon May 02, 2011 10:46 pm

I think the short answer to what you're asking is no. Decibel currently does not detect HDCD data and convert the 16-bit data to 20-bit data. The main reason is that HDCD is patented and I'm not sure about the legalities. But, since Decibel is bit-perfect, if you have an HDCD DAC you can use that with Decibel and your HDCD files.

Re: Does Decibel decode HDCD?

Post by elihu1 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:18 am

I have to post this for the information because I find it almost funny for such a niche product.

Windows Media High Definition-Compatible Digital (HDCD) Technology
No royalties are due on distributions of PC software versions designed to operate on the Windows operating system.

Component Royalty per final product unit Annual Fee Payment for embedded system Annual Fee Payment for PC software on non-Windows operating systems
HDCD Technology

Here is the link for the info. ... final.aspx

Information is located at the bottom.

I suggest if people want this functionality for a MAC operating system then they should all buy a copy of Stephen's program and then donate at least 1,000 dollars per download and enlist all of your friends to do the same. We might get close and if we can't quite make the 400,000 then Stephen gets to keep the amount that is collected and truthfully that is the least we could do for the amount of work he has done over the years.