Add year (date) to sort/columns…?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
brh

Add year (date) to sort/columns…?

Post by brh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:12 am

One thing that I love about Decibel is that the sort order 'sticks' when you change it… So, for example, for some reason, the discs I rip with Max import totally out of order. But that's no big deal because I can sort by track number, then disc number, then album, then album artist. And each sort remembers the last sort so that it ends up tidily sorted alphabetical by artist, then by album, then by disc number, then by track number.

Unfortunately, for me and I would assume other people who care about music, this isn't really ideal… It would be nice to have that same sort, but with date thrown in before album so that albums end up listed chronologically rather than alphabetically. Also, I guess it -might- be nice to be able to save the sort order somehow… Record it like a 'macro,' almost? But, more important is the date thing. Really, it would be nice to have the option to get a column for pretty much any metadata that can be attached to a file, I suppose.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Add year (date) to sort/columns…?

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 am

There are columns available in the playlist that are not available by default. Control-click on the table column headers and you should see a menu that will let you select additional columns to display.

The sort order should be saved between launches- that is the design- but if this isn't what you're seeing it's probably a bug,

brh

Post by brh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 am

First, thanks for the response…

Second, I knew that there were more columns available… That works like standard Aqua, and for that I thank you :) But, at least from where I'm sitting (1.02 (16)) date is not one of the choices.

Third, sort order is remembered between launches, which is handy. But when new stuff is added, only the last level of sort seems to stick. So, I have to go through a series of clicks every time I add something new. Having a few thousand albums to deal with and no 'browse' functionality in Decibel, I end up adding and clearing a lot. It would just be nice to be able to resort based on a set hierarchy, if that makes sense… 

brh

Post by brh » Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Just curious if this is even on the table, as not having a date column really botches up my ability to sort things… More curious that your initial reply seemed to suggest that I should have the option to display a date column already — is something just out of wack with my install?

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Tue May 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes, also for me an year (date) column would be very helpfull.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 am

Nothing is out of the ordinary with your install- I'm still trying to polish how I want the sorting to work. Obviously the ideal would be to sort chronologically, but the freeform date formats allowed by FLAC are difficult (at best) to parse. Sorting the dates textually doesn't make a lot of sense.

brh

Post by brh » Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 am

sbooth wrote:Sorting the dates textually doesn't make a lot of sense.
You mean there are people out there who don't use sortable dates for everything?! :)

Anyhow, thanks for the update, that makes a ton of sense. I had forgotten how loose the format can be…

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 am

I would be happy without sort function. Just let me show the field year, similar to iTunes.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 am

I should specify that I mean the field 'Release date' as indicated by the inspector.

perpetualapprentice

Post by perpetualapprentice » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm

sbooth wrote:Nothing is out of the ordinary with your install- I'm still trying to polish how I want the sorting to work. Obviously the ideal would be to sort chronologically, but the freeform date formats allowed by FLAC are difficult (at best) to parse. Sorting the dates textually doesn't make a lot of sense.
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one. The only thing holding me back from buying the software is lack of a chronological sort/display option. I would hazard a guess that a majority have multiple formats in their libraries which play well with dates. There are also many, many options to simultaneously clean-up ANY tag on multiple files. The unwieldy flac format issues can be easily resolved by those who care to do so. If not, they likely wouldn't enable the 'year' or 'date' column anyway. I understand the goal of a clean interface and applaud the effort. However, a 'release year' ranks far higher on my list of 'must haves' than column items already available (filename or channels, for example).

I believe a poll regarding inclusion of an optional (hidden) date column, even if sorted textually, would have a lopsided result.

pisymbol

Post by pisymbol » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:53 am

perpetualapprentice wrote:
sbooth wrote:Nothing is out of the ordinary with your install- I'm still trying to polish how I want the sorting to work. Obviously the ideal would be to sort chronologically, but the freeform date formats allowed by FLAC are difficult (at best) to parse. Sorting the dates textually doesn't make a lot of sense.
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one. The only thing holding me back from buying the software is lack of a chronological sort/display option. I would hazard a guess that a majority have multiple formats in their libraries which play well with dates. There are also many, many options to simultaneously clean-up ANY tag on multiple files. The unwieldy flac format issues can be easily resolved by those who care to do so. If not, they likely wouldn't enable the 'year' or 'date' column anyway. I understand the goal of a clean interface and applaud the effort. However, a 'release year' ranks far higher on my list of 'must haves' than column items already available (filename or channels, for example).

I believe a poll regarding inclusion of an optional (hidden) date column, even if sorted textually, would have a lopsided result.
For now, just use playlists to sort album order within an artist. I agree that the lack of sort by year is a must have feature for the next revision. But it does not make the current version of Decibel unusable.