Next version of Decibel?

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
and514

Next version of Decibel?

Post by and514 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am

I was wondering if the developer might be able to provide an update on his progress on the next version of Decibel. I understand from past postings that the work is a part-time endeavor that's done outside of a work schedule. I definitely sympathize.... That said, with no news, it's beginning to feel like the current version of the program is the one we're going to have for a long time (if not indefinitely). Decibel is my go-to player; no other player or player-plugin combo can beat its sound output. However, with the arrival of JRiver music player for Mac, it's hard to stay faithful to Decibel. As much as I love the sound quality of the program, it's just slightly too bare-bones for me in its current state.

Any update would be greatly appreciated! To be clear, I absolutely want to keep using Decibel. I'd just like to know that there's something definitive coming in the near future.

Thanks much in advance.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Next version of Decibel?

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

I can't give anything definitive, but I'm happy to share some screenshots of the next major version with library support that I've been working on. Remember these are from a pre-alpha and most artwork is just a placeholder at this point.

and514

Post by and514 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 am

Thanks for the response and -- especially! -- the screenshots. It looks exciting, and can't I wait to see the progress.

As an aside, when you get further down the development path, I'd be happy to help beta test/troubleshoot. (No expectations, just a friendly offer).

Best.

daikan

Post by daikan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 am

Stephen, it looks like iTunes :shock: very close to it :D
Decibel will have his own library or it will work with iTunes? what is aproximate date of releasing this version?

ps. I also hope that you consider some of my offers
make that app support media keys!
and
add feature of reading cover files in folders with music.
I hope that some time we will see integrated tag editor and converter as well.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2012 - Microlab FC 550
osx 10.8.2
decibel - spotify
________________________________________________Image

milesm

Post by milesm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:18 pm

These posts are a year old. The prospect of a library is exciting but is there any further progress to report. I am currently trialling Decibel (as an audio player it's great) and the facility of a library would clinch it for me.

maya

Post by maya » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Sexy screenshots! We'd love to use this at some point.
Why is it all the best audio players become abandon ware?

Sigh.
“Unless you’ve seen KISS live, you don't understand the band.” —Paul Stanley, KISS. (2003).

bfn

Post by bfn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 am

If you don't want to use iTunes at all, you really need some database management functions. After switching from Play to Decibel, I have now been waiting for about four years to see this feature added to Decibel. All I have seen during this time were statements of good intentions from the programmer.

Looking beyond Decibel, I evaluated JRiver MC for Mac. It offers that database, allows you to structure and organize as well as tagging metadata. Powerful and very adaptable. Integrated Browser to quickly look up infos on Wikipedia, Youtube and other resources. I'm absolutely happy and thrilled. So I guess, it's bye bye Decibel.

Pertaining to the sound quality, I can hear no difference. I'm sending my files via coreaudio without any changes applied (no DSP).

stormfriend

Post by stormfriend » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:59 am

In terms of library management for v2 it would be nice to navigate folders within the program and set repeat and shuffle options by folder, but please don't alter or move the original files in any way (unless specifically commanded by the user).

If it's the sort of library management that hides where files are stored (like iTunes) can you please provide an off switch for that feature? Or perhaps provide additional columns indicating file location? To be honest the current GUI is excellent and I just load up either my whole collection or a subfolder and then navigate that way. It's quick enough and it only takes a few seconds to remove one playlist and drag in something new with Finder.

I currently list my files by filename (which have a consistent naming structure) and, er, that's it - I don't use any of this metadata nonsense. A fair number of my files don't even have any metadata on them. I guess what worries me most about adding new library functionality (and why I'm posting this) is that metadata will suddenly start to matter... :cry: