Sample Rate Changes Between Tracks

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
SteveM

Sample Rate Changes Between Tracks

Post by SteveM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 am

Dear Stephen, I'm new to your software. I've been using an evaluation copy on a Mac Pro running 10.7(.5). I've read in your forums how Decibel works, and I've been watching (in Audio Devices app) and logging various sample rate switches (specifically 44.1k to 88.2k and 96k to 88.2k). I'm using the TOSlink out from the Mac Pro. This interface supports 44.1k, 48k and 96k only. For the scenarios listed below, the Decibel settings are: 1) Obtain exclusive access, 2) Adjust sample rate for best quality, 3) Load files in memory, 4) Remember play lists.

If I play the 44.1k music, followed by the 88.2k, Decibel re-samples the 88.2k to 44.1k for playback.

If I play the 96k music first followed by the 88.2k, Decibel re-samples the 88.2k to 96k for playback.

If I play the 88.2k first, Decibel re-samples to 44.1k.

My 44.1k files are CD rips using Apple lossless. My 88.2k and 96k files are aif's from HDTracks.

This is consistently reproducible. My understanding is the second scenario listed above is non-optimal (strictly speaking).

Would you comment on the second situation noted above.

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Sample Rate Changes Between Tracks

Post by sbooth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:15 am

Decibel attempts to use even multiples of the file's sample rate. If the file is sampled at < 96.0 a rate twice the file's sample rate is checked, otherwise half the file's sample rate is checked for availability. As you've discovered files at 88.2 would probably best be resampled to 44.1 instead of 96.0 so it would make more sense to first check double multiples and then half multiples of the sample rate. I will change this for the next version.

SteveM

Re: Sample Rate Changes Between Tracks

Post by SteveM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Thank you for considering this issue. This is all it takes to convert that trial to a purchase ...