iTunes Shared Libraries and ALAC

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
tehabe

iTunes Shared Libraries and ALAC

Post by tehabe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

In the Bugreporter you can read that you can't use ALAC files created with Rip with the sharing feature of iTunes. Maybe it will be fixed, maybe not.

But it is also important to "repair" the old files already in your iTunes collection. One way to do this is the following:

Code: Select all

for f in *.m4a; do ffmpeg -acodec copy -i "$f" "x_${f%.m4a}.m4a"; done
It creates new files with x_ in the beginning. I'm still working on a automatic way to delete the old files and replace them with the new ones without the need for reimporting them into iTunes.

You need ffmpeg for this and you need to keep in mind, that the cover art is not copied into the new file.

tehabe

Re: iTunes Shared Libraries and ALAC

Post by tehabe » Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 am

I changed my way of fixing this bug for existing ALAC files by using mp4box instead of ffmpeg. I hope sbooth fixes this little bug in the next (beta) release. This has the advantage that no new file is created. I haven't test it yet, but in the bug report mp4box is recommended to fix ALAC files. I assume they should work with DAAP now.

for f in *.m4a; do mp4box -inter 0 "$f"; done
Disadvantage is, you have to go through every directory manually. I created this mdfind line, which should take care of all ALAC files in ~/Music/iTunes Music.

mdfind -onlyin ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music -0 "kMDItemCodecs == 'Apple Lossless'" | xargs -0 -I % mp4box -inter 0 %

randian

Post by randian » Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 pm

What bug are you referring to?

tehabe

Post by tehabe » Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm

randian wrote:What bug are you referring to?
This one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/rip/+bug/452114