Multiple file output option

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
Lunchbox16

Multiple file output option

Post by Lunchbox16 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:20 pm

Have you considered adding a feature to Rip that allows multiple files (e.g. WAV and FLAC ) simultaneously? This is something that XLD does already. The more I experiment with Rip the more I want to make it my main ripper, but I'm not sure if it does everything I want/need it to at this point.

Also, unrelated to the above, does Rip report AccuRip data? I know that XLD does not, which seems odd to me. Just wanted to see if Rip does.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Multiple file output option

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 am

I have considered multiple output formats, but decided that it was low on the priority list for features.

What do you by report AR data? Rip will write the AR checksums to the log files, but that is about it.

Lunchbox16

Post by Lunchbox16 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Right, it dawned on me that that last part might have been a bit confusing. EAC, for example, can submit rip data to the larger accurip database, which, in theory, helps to make a better, more accurate database - or so I would assume. I know that XLD does not do this, but I cannot remember the reasoning why. I was just curious if Rip did. It's not a needed feature, just more or less wondering on my end.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Rip does not do this (nor does any non-Windows ripper) because the AR submission code is only available as a windows DLL. Here is a quote from spoon:
Only two programs submit to AR, EAC and dBpoweramp, these two submit through the standard AccurateRip access dll, which ensures that offsets are correct, we are not talking submissions to freedb where one record does not effect the submission of future records if keyed with a wrong offset. You might not like it, but it is the only way to ensure that the quality of the database is not impaired. This has nothing to do with open source program from having read only access to the database.