Many CDs failing with Rip - fine with Max

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
mrk

Many CDs failing with Rip - fine with Max

Post by mrk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 am

Hi,

I've recently embarked on a project to re-rip all of my 940-strong CD collection. Having used Max before, I came across Rip and felt that I should use it instead as it seems to be the preferred ripper these days.

I'm about 50 CDs in, but have had to fall back to using Max because of the high number of Input/Output error dialogs I am receiving (The exact dialog is shown below as per thornomad's post back in December)

I'd say 50% of my CDs so far are exhibiting this. The CDs are generally in excellent condition - many have been out of the case only once to initially rip and have not been damaged in any way. As I said, I've moved back to using Max and find that none of the CDs are failing in any way so I'm fairly happy that both my CDs and my drive are good.

I would be content to continue using Max, however I find that they take considerably longer in Max compared to Rip. Has anyone got any advice as to either:
1) Diagnose the problems I'm experiencing with Rip (my preferred avenue)
or
2) Speed Max up so that it has performance akin to Rip but without sacrificing quality.

Cheers,

Maurice

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Many CDs failing with Rip - fine with Max

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Is there plenty of disk space available?

mrk

Post by mrk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm

sbooth wrote:Is there plenty of disk space available?
Loads of it! I thought the same thing initially, but there's over 500GB free there. Some specs: Mac Pro (early 2009), 8x2.16GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB free on the system drive, 800GB free on the data drive.

I'm not sure what the SuperDrive actually is model wise, will have a look again when I'm at home in a few hours.

What's the situation with logs - does Rip have it's own log, or does it use the console? Is there a way to up the logging level?

Cheers,

Maurice

mrk

Post by mrk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:11 pm

As a followup, my drive is apparently a Hitachi: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N

avta

Post by avta » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Are you ripping with or without a cue sheet ?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:22 pm

I really need to report more verbose errors when something like this happens. In any case, I suspect it to be one of two things: a) Lack of disk space or b) A read error (not a C2 error, but an OS read error) on the CD. Is there anything printed in the Console by Rip?

mrk

Post by mrk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

sbooth wrote:Is there anything printed in the Console by Rip?
Nothing at all. I'll have a go with another Mac at some stage to see if it's repeatable.

rgomez

Post by rgomez » Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm also having this issue. But I get errors in bot Rip and Max. I can rip the disc with iTunes without problems, so I assume it's not a hardware issue.

There are no entries on the Console except for a few that read something like this: "Class CoreAudioEncodeoperation is implemented in both /...." This appear to be written in when starting the app. I have tried only 2 discs, but this is the first time I try this machine, so I don't know if there is some kind of incompatibility or so?

The mac is a brand new Macbook Pro (early 2010), the model of the unit is: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

rgomez

Post by rgomez » Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Ok, a little bit more info.

Using Max there are messages in the Console. The message is:

Code: Select all

*** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338
Hope this helps

Edit: The simple ripper and the cdparanoia ripper in Max both seem to work fine.

EmbeddedTim

Post by EmbeddedTim » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm having very similar issues with my new Macbook (2010).

It looks like both Max (Comparison Ripper) and Rip can't read from the disc. Using CDParanoia does work in Max.

I've attached all the console messages:

Max[925] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Column identifiers used with NSTableView autosave feature must conform to NSCoding protocol: (null)' invoked observer method: '*** -[NSTableView superviewFrameChanged:]' observer: 0x1703ab50 notification name: 'NSViewFrameDidChangeNotification'\
11/20/10 9:41:38 AM Max[925] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Column identifiers used with NSTableView autosave feature must conform to NSCoding protocol: (null)' invoked observer method: '*** -[NSTableView superviewFrameChanged:]' observer: 0x1703ab50 notification name: 'NSViewFrameDidChangeNotification'\
11/20/10 9:41:38 AM Max[925] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Column identifiers used with NSTableView autosave feature must conform to NSCoding protocol: (null)' invoked observer method: '*** -[NSTableView superviewFrameChanged:]' observer: 0x1703ab50 notification name: 'NSViewFrameDidChangeNotification'\
11/20/10 9:41:42 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:41:47 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:41:50 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:41:53 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:41:56 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:42:59 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[CompactDiscDocument encode:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/CompactDisc/CompactDiscDocument.m:390\
11/20/10 9:45:10 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:45:17 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:49:43 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:52:38 AM Max[925] *** Assertion failure in -[ComparisonRipper ripSectorRange:toFile:], /tmp/Max-0.9.1-svn/Rippers/ComparisonRipper.m:338\
11/20/10 9:52:51 AM [0x0-0x65065].org.sbooth.Rip[997] objc[997]: Class CoreAudioEncodeOperation is implemented in both /Applications/Rip.app/Contents/PlugIns/WAVE.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WAVE and /Applications/Rip.app/Contents/PlugIns/AppleLossless.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleLossless. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.\
11/20/10 9:52:52 AM [0x0-0x65065].org.sbooth.Rip[997] objc[997]: Class CoreAudioEncodeOperation is implemented in both /Applications/Rip.app/Contents/PlugIns/WAVE.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WAVE and /Applications/Rip.app/Contents/PlugIns/AIFF.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AIFF. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.\
11/20/10 9:58:35 AM Max[1017] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Column identifiers used with NSTableView autosave feature must conform to NSCoding protocol: (null)' invoked observer method: '*** -[NSTableView superviewFrameChanged:]' observer: 0x1582150 notification name: 'NSViewFrameDidChangeNotification'}

parasanger

Post by parasanger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm having this issue too. Is there a fix coming out for this?

tomasio

Post by tomasio » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 pm

i have the same issue. Ripping with "Rip" worked at the first two cds, but it hung itself with the third, which was rather scratched. It looks like it reads the whole track (I extracted only single ones) and crashes when re-extracting sectors which it maybe considers faulty.

I could import the 3rd Audio CD with MAX and iTunes (both with conversion to Apple Lossless). Unfortunately I could not find any Console-log for this CD, only for correctly ripped files.

One possible workaround is to switch "c2 error flags" off for the cds where RIp crashes. Further information can be found here:
http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 039#p12039

ProToolsLily

Post by ProToolsLily » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:48 pm

tomasio wrote:i have the same issue. Ripping with "Rip" worked at the first two cds, but it hung itself with the third, which was rather scratched. It looks like it reads the whole track (I extracted only single ones) and crashes when re-extracting sectors which it maybe considers faulty.

I could import the 3rd Audio CD with MAX and iTunes (both with conversion to Apple Lossless). Unfortunately I could not find any Console-log for this CD, only for correctly ripped files.

One possible workaround is to switch "c2 error flags" off for the cds where RIp crashes. Further information can be found here:
http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 039#p12039
My goodness! This certainly seems like it's a pretty common problem! Yeah. . .sorry for the lateness of my reply, but I'm experiencing the same audio ripping issues as everyone else on here. My CDs are ripping into mp3s just fine with MAX, but the public beta test of Rip stops about 3 or 4 songs in. To make things worse, the audio quality isn't that great. I know I got the program for free off the site, but it really looks promising. . .and frankly, I could use a reliable cd ripping program. Windows Media Player just closes out on me.

Anyway, if someone could help out, it'd be greatly appreciated! I have a feeling it's a glitch with a certain system. Who else here uses Windows Vista?

Speaking of audio ripping, I've been looking for headphones for when I finally do get my music off the CD. Has anyone on here ever purchased Klipsch headphones before? I'd love it if someone could provide a review.

Welp, I'm going off topic now. Hopefully someone can help out. Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
Protools Lily
What kind of in ear headphones would you guys recommend?

Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:16 pm

mrk wrote:I've recently embarked on a project to re-rip all of my 940-strong CD collection. Having used Max before, I came across Rip and felt that I should use it instead as it seems to be the preferred ripper these days.
<SNIP>
As someone who has begun using Max in earnest to re-rip several thousand discs,, is there anyone here who can help me understand why Rip would be preferred to Max? On the Rip page, the software is clearly identified as beta, unstable software, while Max seems quite robust. So is there something about Rip that makes it more desirable?
You can't win. You can't break even. You can't get out of the game.