Settings for optimal CD archiving?

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
Horus

Settings for optimal CD archiving?

Post by Horus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Hello,

I used to rip and archive my CDs to FLAC with Max but since Rip's concept promises more accurate results I plan to switch.

Some questions:

1) To have pregaps handled correctly I need to use 'Detect Pregaps' prior to each ripping process? Is there way to have it done automatically?

2) Rip generates a seperate CUE file. In http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 7969#p7969 it is said that FLAC files habe the cue sheet embedded. In this case, is the seperate CUE file redundant?

3) Any other options that should be set for best results? (cpmpression level = 9, allow extraction failure when matches not made = true

4) Thanks a lot for the app!

Florian

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Settings for optimal CD archiving?

Post by sbooth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 am

Pregaps are automatically detected.

The cue embedded in the FLAC file doesn't contain metadata, so a separate cue is not necessarily redundant.

The default extraction settings should be fine for normal use!

Horus

Re: Settings for optimal CD archiving?

Post by Horus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for your answers.

May I dare to make a feature/change request.

After each track ripped it's being indicated if it was successful and accurate in the corresponding line. Additionally there is a message after the entire rip saying it was successful. Both disappear after a couple of seconds. Since ripping a CD takes some time I'm not observing the progress closely and almost always miss the message at the end. I need to go the log file and manually scan it through.

Please introduce an option that makes the the application wait for user input after a rip!

Thanks,

Florian