Encoding & Output files

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
ajs75

Encoding & Output files

Post by ajs75 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Hello,

I've noticed that Rip doesn't write anything to the selected "Music Folder" until it is done with the complete disc. Is that as intended?

It would be useful to see the open file being written in the destination directly as it is working on a single image of the disc as it's in keeping with how most programs deal with file IO.

Also, if Rip could write the individual FLACs, when that option is chosen, as it completes each one, it would allow the user begin doing other things, like working on tags, encoding to other formats, etc.

Finally, on this topic, it would be useful to select which tracks to rip as opposed to the entire disc by default. I haven't found a way to do that.

These are just some initial thoughts, not criticisms. Thanks for the software.

If you'd like me to submit a feature request for anything, let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

-A

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Encoding & Output files

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:02 am

ajs75 wrote:I've noticed that Rip doesn't write anything to the selected "Music Folder" until it is done with the complete disc. Is that as intended?
This is intended, yes. Once extraction is finished for all tracks Rip calculates replay gain over the album and then passes each file to the encoder. To do the RG calculation Rip needs access to all the audio.
Finally, on this topic, it would be useful to select which tracks to rip as opposed to the entire disc by default. I haven't found a way to do that.
You can do this by selecting the appropriate checkboxes next to each track's number, and then select Copy Tracks.

ajs75

Post by ajs75 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:36 pm

sbooth wrote:
ajs75 wrote:I've noticed that Rip doesn't write anything to the selected "Music Folder" until it is done with the complete disc. Is that as intended?
This is intended, yes. Once extraction is finished for all tracks Rip calculates replay gain over the album and then passes each file to the encoder. To do the RG calculation Rip needs access to all the audio.
Ah, fair enough. I don't use replay gain and have it turned off in the preferences so I was expecting something different. Is it a pain to change Rip's behavior with regards to writing the files depending based on the calculate replay gain on/off setting?
sbooth wrote:
ajs75 wrote:Finally, on this topic, it would be useful to select which tracks to rip as opposed to the entire disc by default. I haven't found a way to do that.
You can do this by selecting the appropriate checkboxes next to each track's number, and then select Copy Tracks.
Hah, so it does. Quite obviously so. I must have been looking at the progress window and not the main window. </embarrassed>

ajs75

Post by ajs75 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Stephen,

Here is another reason, perhaps, to write something to the intended destination. . .

I just tried to copy the files from a disk only to have Rip tell me that the destination directory (the album name) that should be created by Rip, does not exist after it did the extractions. As a result, I had no output files. This happened twice with the same disk. On the third attempt, I manually created the destination directory. There were no permission issues with the destination, so this was some sort of issue with Rip itself. (FWIW, I looked up the metadata with iTunes after MusicBrainz and changed the album name I'm not sure if Rip got confused about what the output directory should have been, however, it wrote nothing.)

If Rip created the output hierarchy and, perhaps, wrote the cue sheet and log file as it went along, this could be caught sooner, and if there were a case of a disk permissions issue, the user would know and be able to fix the issue without waiting for all the operations to finish. Also, if Rip aborted for some reason, there would be a log file in the logical location to clue the user into why.

Can the files be recovered from Rip's working directory? Where is that?

Thanks,

Aron

ajs75

Post by ajs75 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm

ajs75 wrote:I just tried to copy the files from a disk only to have Rip tell me that the destination directory (the album name) that should be created by Rip, does not exist after it did the extractions. As a result, I had no output files. This happened twice with the same disk. On the third attempt, I manually created the destination directory. There were no permission issues with the destination, so this was some sort of issue with Rip itself. (FWIW, I looked up the metadata with iTunes after MusicBrainz and changed the album name I'm not sure if Rip got confused about what the output directory should have been, however, it wrote nothing.)
This just happened again. In this case, the metadata was looked-up using iTunes. I changed the Album name from Revolver [2009 Stereo Remaster] to Revolver [Stereo]. Rip wrote the directory Revolver [2009 Stereo Remaster] (which is wrong) and the individual .flac files, but gave me an error, "The directory Revolver [Stereo] does not exist" and did not write the cue file or the log file.

-A