Rip vs. EAC

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
Mola Ram

Rip vs. EAC

Post by Mola Ram » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:02 pm

I've used Exact Audio Copy in the past and still have it available via Boot Camp, but I'm wondering how Rip compares and if it's worth switching over to. Thank you.

Fuga

Re: Rip vs. EAC

Post by Fuga » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Depends somewhat on end use. For your own use, you may be happy with the results, as are many simply using iTunes. If you are perhaps in a situation where others (especially non-Mac folks) are involved, XLD will more meet your needs.

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Mola Ram wrote:... I'm wondering how Rip compares ...
Rip can consult the AccurateRip database, can't it? As I see it, the log, which you can save and look at, that says it has should be all the reassurance any of us needs, if the sound being OK weren't enough.
... and if it's worth switching ...
I've never used Bootcamp. Both ripping programs seem to do much the same, and both offer the check via AccurateRip. If starting Bootcamp is anything at all of a bother, and if I wasn't already booted into it in order to use some other program, I'd not bother to boot into it myself.

Mola Ram

Post by Mola Ram » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for the opinions. Another question I have is how does Rip handle pregaps, including tracks hidden before track 1?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:45 am

I haven't added any special pregap handling to Rip. Right now the pregaps are saved at the end of the preceding track, like on the physical disc.

As far as HTOA, I have no discs with any nor any drives that support it so I haven't tested it out. I have a feeling that it would not work.

Mola Ram

Post by Mola Ram » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have only one disk with HTOA. Supposedly EAC will rip HTOA. I'll have to test both Rip and EAC and see if either work.

I know EAC has a few options for handling pregaps such as saving them at the end of the previous track, at the beginning of the current track, or ignoring them. This might by a nice option for Rip.

smiler

Post by smiler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

I tried ripping a CD with HTOA, and I've filed a bug about it.

The CD rips fine, but Rip doesn't extract the first-track pre-gap. The FLAC file itself plays back fine, but playing the cue sheet leads to all the tracks being offset by the length of the track 1 pre-gap.

Bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/rip/+bug/484196
Regards,
smiler =)

Play: 0.1.3b (r.964)
Max: 0.7.1
Music collection: FLAC, AAC-LC (160k VBR for iPod)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for filing the bug- I will try to get a copy of that disc so I can play around with HTOA handling.