flac metadata and cue sheets

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
boringenormous

flac metadata and cue sheets

Post by boringenormous » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

I have started ripping my CDs to a single file with CUE sheet as my WDTV doesn't support gapless playback. Hopefully, in the future when it does, I can just convert the single file to multiple flac files using whatever program (I'll admit I use XLD for this, not Max, as it easily brings up the CUE sheet and splits it perfectly to multiple files). However, when I tried it, just to make sure, there was no metadata preserved...it just lists "track 01, track 02" etc. Is there something I need to enable in the Rip preferences to embed metadata or is it not possible as of yet? And, will it be, if it's not?

ajs

Re: flac metadata and cue sheets

Post by ajs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:56 am

boringenormous wrote:[…]However, when I tried it, just to make sure, there was no metadata preserved...it just lists "track 01, track 02" etc. Is there something I need to enable in the Rip preferences to embed metadata or is it not possible as of yet?
Embedding trac metadata in a single-file FLAC album is problematic. FLAC doesn't allow the embedded cue-sheet to store title/artist information for each track. And there's no convention for storing per-track metadata elsewhere.

For my own rip/conversion projects I look up track metadata on-demand using Musicbrainz. (The album's MusicBrainz ID is embedded, which makes this easy, and the cue-sheet allows a search to be done even if that is missing.)