How does Rip improve on CDparanoia rippers?

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
randian

How does Rip improve on CDparanoia rippers?

Post by randian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:03 am

Like XLD. Better extraction algorithms, more efficient encoders, what?

Fuga

Re: How does Rip improve on CDparanoia rippers?

Post by Fuga » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:24 am

And now we have the crux of the issue of these apps.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:43 am

The encoders are the same, at least functionally, so there is no difference there.

I haven't kept fully up to date on cdparanoia so I'm not sure I can comment on how the extraction algorithm differs from paranoia. But the last time I checked paranoia used a system based on block re-reading to try and get repeatable results. Some builds had cache defeating logic, and some didn't. I don't believe paranoia uses C2 error flags either. One thing also worth mentioning is that cdparanoia will always rip a track, even with errors, but Rip won't unless this setting is specifically enabled.

I think Rip is superior because it makes use of the best sources of data on errors: the drive hardware itself (via C2 error flags) and other users who have already ripped the disc (via AccurateRip). This checking coupled with the extraction algorithm Rip uses (see the web page for details) will provide the most consistent and error-free results. In my testing with damaged discs, Rip outperformed cdparanoia in the majority of cases.

ajs

Post by ajs » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 am

The paranoia rippers are invariably derived from the CDparanoia ripper. As Steven suggests the paranoia algorithm uses re-reading techniques to detect ripping errors. Older versions were tripped up by (large) modern drive caches, which various people/distributions tried to patch. The most recent stable version (10.2) improved the situation vastly with built-in cache analysis.

That said, CDparanoia was developed roughly 10 years ago and designed to work around the ripping problems encountered at the time, using techniques that drives at the time actually implemented. (Hint: no C2). As such it's rather 'old school' and modern drives tend to a) have different problems when ripping; b) provide better support for secure ripping. Rip, being a modern design, is much better suited to modern drives.

The next-generation of CDparanoia ('VI', announced in 2008 but without much visible activity since) will also be updated to use techniques similar to Rip. That said, Rip is here and usable (notwithstanding the 'Beta' moniker). CDparanoia VI is not. :)

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:34 am

Might you expand on this statement?

"Rip outperformed cdparanoia in the majority of cases."

Out performed how? Majority - what about the rest?