c2 problems

Discuss Rip, an open source accurate CD audio extractor.
the7trumpets

Re: c2 problems

Post by the7trumpets » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm seeing the exact same thing on my 13" mid-2009 mbp

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868
Firmware Revision: KB19

I don't seen any setting to disable c2 checking in Rip though, so I've been falling back to Max.

I should mention that occasionally I have trouble getting this drive to even accept CDs - it just spits them out before mounting them. It's almost as if the CD never spins up 'fast' enough - the CD usually spins up twice at low RPM twice for about 10 seconds each, and is then ejected. When the computer does mount the CD, it spins up to a much higher speed and mounts within 5 seconds. It seems intermittent, and I haven't found any real fix for it, or obvious cause of it. This is obviously not Rip related, so maybe it is a hardware thing.

Is it possible that an incorrect read offset could cause these c2 errors? Maybe this particular model of drive has gone through several revisions and has different read offsets from the default - Rip suggests 102 frames for my drive.

(edit)
I found the checkbox to disable c2 error checking, in the inspector window. Turning that off makes it work correctly, but now I have a question about the quality of the rips:

Which is better?
1 - RIP with c2 errors turned off
2 - MAX comparison ripper

It seems like Max takes longer, so in my twisted world, that seems to suggest that it's better, but I don't really know that. Anyone care to chime in?

Better yet, is there any easy way in osx to compare two files and see if they are identical?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm

If your discs are in the AccurateRip database then I would prefer Rip with no C2 over Max.

If you rip to FLAC you can compare the MD5 sums of the audio using the metaflac command line tool as the MD5 is embedded into the FLAC file. The only meaningful way to compare files is to compare only the audio portions; Rip stores the MD5 and SHA1 hashes of the audio in the log file, but Max doesn't calculate the information.

tomasio

Post by tomasio » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:59 pm

If anybody searched the whole app for the "c2 flag" playboy mentioned in the 1st post of this thread and did not found anything, just press "CMD + I" or go to the Topmenu entry "Window > show Inspector". At the bottom of the Inspector window is a tiny checkbox where you can switch off c2 error flags.

<edit>
I just learned that the7trumpets in the post above has already mentioned where to find the "c2 error flags" checkbox.
</edit>

inarru

Post by inarru » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:08 pm

I also have this problem on my macbook pro with its built-in Hitachi GS23N dvdrw drive.
It's not every track but certain ones do repeatedly fail and always seems to be with 142 C2 errors.
On my older mbp with the fujitsu UJ-857E (ZA0E) the same discs rip fine.

ei.kukaan

Post by ei.kukaan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi!

I've used Max for ripping so far, but currently that is not working at all. Not even the latest r-1438. (All I get is "Column identifiers used with NSTableView autosave feature must conform to NSCoding protocol: (null)")

So, I downloaded Rip (1.0b(14)) and I must echo this. The c2 seems to be somehow broken. I get immediately c2 errors of the order > 1000 and then it get's into never ending loop.
On start it tells me that: "The suggested read offset for “MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868” is 102 audio frames. Would you like to use this read offset?" And when I do the calculate offset I get:
-667, confidence value 28
102, cf 27
-1381, cf 5

But none of the values work any better. I do not see a setting for c2... so currently I cannot rip anything with Rip nor the Max. :( So I'm back to importing them with iTunes to lossless and then from that to FLAC with Max (+ deleting from iTunes). So, I hope you can do something about the c2 here. At least give the option to turn it off.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 pm

C2 can be turned off using the checkbox in the drive information section of the inspector.

I am not convinced that Rip's C2 interpretation is incorrect, but rather that C2 errors are more common than I originally thought and shouldn't be treated as showstoppers in the ripping process.

Paul Gotch

Post by Paul Gotch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:40 pm

sbooth wrote:C2 can be turned off using the checkbox in the drive information section of the inspector.

I am not convinced that Rip's C2 interpretation is incorrect, but rather that C2 errors are more common than I originally thought and shouldn't be treated as showstoppers in the ripping process.
I have exactly the same issue on a brand new 15" MacBook Pro with a Matshita UJ-8A8 in it. My best guess is that for some reason these drives are reporting correctable C2 errors. Normally only uncorrected C2 errors are reported.

Rondoudou

Post by Rondoudou » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Just to add to the noise, I seem to have the same issue with a brand new HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N drive.